On multidimensional inequality with variable distribution mean
We compare inequality of alternative populations of individuals who differ in many characteristics besides income. To do so, we introduce a new criterion for ranking multivariate distributions with different means of marginals (hereafter marginal means) and show that some conditions, relevant in the analysis of multidimensional inequality, are equivalent to the ordering we propose.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 47 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4-5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christophe Muller & Alain Trannoy, 2003.
"A Dominance Approach to Well-Being Inequality across Countries,"
IDEP Working Papers
0313, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France.
- Alain Trannoy & Christophe Muller, 2004. "A Dominance Approach To Well-Being Inequality Across Countries," Working Papers. Serie AD 2004-27, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Kakwani, Nanak C, 1977. "Applications of Lorenz Curves in Economic Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 719-27, April.
- Lambert, Peter J & Ramos, Xavier, 2002.
"Welfare Comparisons: Sequential Procedures for Heterogeneous Populations,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 69(276), pages 549-62, November.
- Peter Lambert & Xavi Ramos, 2001. "Welfare Comparisons: Sequential Procedures for Heterogeneous Population," CESifo Working Paper Series 519, CESifo Group Munich.
- Peter J. Lambert & Xavier Ramos, 2001. "Welfare comparisons: sequential procedures for heterogenous populations," Working Papers wp0114, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Decancq, Koen & Ooghe, Erwin, 2010. "Has the world moved forward? A robust multidimensional evaluation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 266-269, May.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 1977. "Multidimensional Egalitarianisms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-13.
- Sen, Amartya, 1997. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292975, December.
- Ernesto Savaglio, 2006. "Multidimensional inequality with variable population size," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 28(1), pages 85-94, 05.
- Jenkins, Stephen P & Lambert, Peter J, 1993. "Ranking Income Distributions When Needs Differ," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(4), pages 337-56, December.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1978. "The Measurement of Mobility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1013-24, September.
- Ebert, Udo, 1997. "Social Welfare When Needs Differ: An Axiomatic Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 233-44, May.
- Moyes, Patrick, 1989. "Some classes of functions that preserve the inequality and welfare orderings of income distributions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 347-359, December.
- Gleb Koshevoy, 1997. "The Lorenz zonotope and multivariate majorizations," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 15(1), pages 1-14.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:47:y:2011:i:4:p:453-461. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.