A causal test of the demonstration effect theory
We propose a causal test of the demonstration effect theory using gender differences in the provision of upstream transfers. Using Romanian data, we find that young daughters affect their parents' contact with the grandparents differently than young sons do.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, Donald & Jimenez, Emmanuel & Okrasa, Wlodek, 1997.
"Family Safety Nets and Economic Transition: A Study of Worker Households in Poland,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(2), pages 191-209, June.
- Donald Cox & Emmanuel Jimenez & Wlodek Okrasa, 1996. "Family Safety Nets and Economic Transition: A Study of Worker Households in Poland," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 328., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Cox, Donald & Stark, Oded, 2005.
"On the demand for grandchildren: tied transfers and the demonstration effect,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(9-10), pages 1665-1697, September.
- Donald Cox & Oded Stark, 2007. "On the Demand for Grandchildren: Tied Transfers and the Demonstration Effect," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Economics of Happiness, chapter 18 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Cox, Donald & Stark, Oded, 2004. "On the Demand for Grandchildren: Tied Transfers and the Demonstration Effect," Economics Series 158, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Cox, Donald & Stark, Oded, 2004. "On The Demand For Grandchildren: Tied Transfers And The Demonstration Effect," Discussion Papers 18751, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Jellal, Mohamed & Wolff, Francois-Charles, 2000.
"Shaping intergenerational relationships: the demonstration effect,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 255-261, September.
- Jellal, Mohamed & wolff, François charles, 2000. "Shaping intergenerational relationships the demonstration effect," MPRA Paper 38512, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wolff, Francois-Charles, 2006. "Microeconomic models of family transfers," Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism, Elsevier.
- Maria Amelina & Dan Chiribuca & Stephen Knack, 2004. "Mapped In or Mapped Out? The Romanian Poor in Inter-household and Community Networks," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14934.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Wolff, Francois-Charles, 2002. "Cultural evolutionary altruism: theory and evidence," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 241-262, June.
- Ken Yamada, 2006.
"Intra-family transfers in Japan: intergenerational co-residence, distance, and contact,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(16), pages 1839-1861.
- Ken Yamada, 2003. "Intra-family Transfers in Japan: Intergenerational Co-residence, Distance, andContact," ISER Discussion Paper 0575, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Gimenez-Nadal, J. Ignacio & Marcén, Miriam & Molina, José Alberto, 2007. "How Does the Presence of Children Affect Dependent Care? A Psycho-Economic Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 2726, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cox, Donald, 1987. "Motives for Private Income Transfers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 508-546, June.
- Mitrut, Andreea & Nordblom, Katarina, 2007. "Motives for Private Gift Transfers: Theory and Evidence from Romania," Working Papers in Economics 262, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics, revised 30 Apr 2008.
- Donald Cox & Oded Stark, 1996. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Demonstration Effect," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 329., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francois-Charles Wolff, 2001. "Private intergenerational contact in France and the demonstration effect," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-153.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:103:y:2009:i:1:p:52-54. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.