The intrinsic comparative dynamics of infinite horizon optimal control problems with a time-varying discount rate and time-distance discounting
The intrinsic comparative dynamics of a ubiquitous class of optimal control problems with a time-varying discount rate and time-distance discounting are derived and shown to be characterized by a positive semidefinite matrix. It is also shown that the said comparative dynamics are invariant to the functional form of the discount rate function and the type of agent. Consequently, if one limits econometric testing to the basic comparative dynamics of the given class of control problems, one cannot determine (i) the functional form of the discount rate function used by an agent, and thus if an agent is a time-consistent or time-inconsistent decision maker, or (ii) if an agent commits to a plan of action or takes into account the changing nature of his preferences when choosing a plan.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Uri Benzion & Amnon Rapoport & Joseph Yagil, 1989. "Discount Rates Inferred from Decisions: An Experimental Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 270-284, March.
- Karp, Larry, 2004.
"Non-constant discounting in continuous time,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
0969, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Karp, Larry, 2004. "Non-Constant Discounting in Continuous Time," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7pr05084, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Karp, Larry, 2005. "Non-Constant Discounting in Continuous Time," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt0nn1t22z, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Robert J. Barro, 1999. "Ramsey Meets Laibson In The Neoclassical Growth Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1125-1152, November.
- Caputo, Michael R., 2003. "The comparative dynamics of closed-loop controls for discounted infinite horizon optimal control problems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1335-1365, June.
- Christopher Harris & David Laibson, 1999.
"Dynamic Choices of Hyperbolic Consumers,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1886, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2006:i:8:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Glenn W. Harrison & Morten I. Lau & Melonie B. Williams, 2001.
"Estimating Individual Discount Rates in Denmark: A Field Experiment,"
NCEE Working Paper Series
200102, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Nov 2001.
- Glenn W. Harrison & Morten I. Lau & Melonie B. Williams, 2002. "Estimating Individual Discount Rates in Denmark: A Field Experiment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1606-1617, December.
- Elisabet Rutstrom & Glenn Harrison & Melonie Williams & Morten Lau, 2002. "Estimating individual discount rates in denmark: A field experiment," Artefactual Field Experiments 00062, The Field Experiments Website.
- Marín-Solano, Jesús & Navas, Jorge, 2009.
"Non-constant discounting in finite horizon: The free terminal time case,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 666-675, March.
- Jesus Marin Solano & Jorge Navas Rodenes, 2007. "Non-constant discounting in finite horizon: The free terminal time case," Working Papers in Economics 183, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Laibson, David I., 1997.
"Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
4481499, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Gong Liutang & Zhu Shenghao, 2006. "Does observational equivalence always hold in hyperbolic discounting models?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(8), pages 1-8.
- Saul Pleeter & John T. Warner, 2001. "The Personal Discount Rate: Evidence from Military Downsizing Programs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 33-53, March.
- Eric Rasmusen, 2008. "Some Common Confusions about Hyperbolic Discounting," Working Papers 2008-11, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Loewenstein, George & Prelec, Drazen, 1992. "Anomalies in Intertemporal Choice: Evidence and an Interpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 573-97, May.
- Thaler, Richard, 1981. "Some empirical evidence on dynamic inconsistency," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 201-207.
- Rubinstein, Ariel, 2001. "A theorist's view of experiments," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 615-628, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:37:y:2013:i:4:p:810-820. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.