Perfect simulation of stationary equilibria
Using a variation of the coupling from the past technique, this paper develops algorithms which generate independent observations from the stationary distributions of various dynamic economic models. These variates can be used for calibration, calculation of steady state phenomena, and simulation-based estimation. As an application, we demonstrate how to generate exact samples from the stationary distribution of an incomplete markets model routinely calibrated by macroeconomists. Our implementation generates 100,000 independent draws from the stationary distribution in less than 3Â s.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1993.
"Uninsured idiosyncratic risk and aggregate saving,"
502, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Manuel Santos, 2004.
"Convergence Properties of the Likelihood of Computed Dynamic Models,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
04-034, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramírez & Manuel S. Santos, 2006. "Convergence Properties of the Likelihood of Computed Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(1), pages 93-119, 01.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan Rubio & Manuel Santos, 2005. "Convergence Properties of the Likelihood of Computed Dynamic Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0315, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan Francisco Rubio-Ramírez & Manuel S. Santos, 2004. "Convergence properties of the likelihood of computed dynamic models," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2004-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Manuel Santos, 2005. "Convergence Properties of the Likelihood of Computed Dynamic Models," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000822, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Peralta Alva, Adrián & Santos, Manuel S., 2003.
"Accuracy of simulations for stochastic dynamic models,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
we034615, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Manuel S. Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2005. "Accuracy of Simulations for Stochastic Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(6), pages 1939-1976, November.
- Manuel S. Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2003. "Accuracy of Simulations for Stochastic Dynamic Models," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000264, UCLA Department of Economics.
- John Stachurski, 2006.
"Continuous State Dynamic Programming via Nonexpansive Approximation,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
961, The University of Melbourne.
- John Stachurski, 2008. "Continuous State Dynamic Programming via Nonexpansive Approximation," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 141-160, March.
- John Stachurski, 2006. "Continuous State Dynamic Programming Via Nonexpansive Approximation," KIER Working Papers 618, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Darrell Duffie & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1990.
"Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1993. "Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 929-52, July.
- Lee, Bong-Soo & Ingram, Beth Fisher, 1991. "Simulation estimation of time-series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 197-205, February.
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Stachurski, John, 2005. "Stability of stochastic optimal growth models: a new approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 100-118, May.
- Rust, John, 1987. "Optimal Replacement of GMC Bus Engines: An Empirical Model of Harold Zurcher," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 999-1033, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:34:y:2010:i:4:p:577-584. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.