Flexible shrinkage in portfolio selection
How to quantify estimation risk is important in portfolio selection. For this purpose we derive the flexible shrinkage estimator for the optimal portfolio weights, which allows dynamic adjustments of model structure. Our estimator is based on grouping the assets in order to capture non-homogeneity of estimation risk. The assets are assigned to groups using a clustering procedure with the number of groups determined from the data. The proposed flexible shrinkage approach exhibits sound and robust performance compared to the popular portfolio selection alternatives.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vincenzo Tola & Fabrizio Lillo & Mauro Gallegati & Rosario N. Mantegna, 2005.
"Cluster analysis for portfolio optimization,"
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2001.
"Improved estimation of the covariance matrix of stock returns with an application to portofolio selection,"
Economics Working Papers
586, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ledoit, Olivier & Wolf, Michael, 2003. "Improved estimation of the covariance matrix of stock returns with an application to portfolio selection," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 603-621, December.
- Raftery, Adrian E. & Dean, Nema, 2006. "Variable Selection for Model-Based Clustering," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 168-178, March.
- Michael W. Brandt & Pedro Santa-Clara, 2006.
"Dynamic Portfolio Selection by Augmentingthe Asset Space,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(5), pages 2187-2217, October.
- Michael W. Brandt & Pedro Santa-Clara, 2004. "Dynamic Portfolio Selection by Augmenting the Asset Space," NBER Working Papers 10372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brandt, Michael W. & Santa-Clara, Pedro, 2004. "Dynamic Portfolio Selection by Augmenting the Asset Space," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt632436gt, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Wolfgang Hardle & Helmut Herwartz & Vladimir Spokoiny, 2003.
"Time Inhomogeneous Multiple Volatility Modeling,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 55-95.
- Wolfgang Haerdle & Helmut Herwartz & Volodia Spokoiny, 2000. "Time Inhomogeneous Multiple Volatility Modelling," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1429, Econometric Society.
- Härdle, Wolfgang & Herwartz, Helmut & Spokoiny, Vladimir G., 2001. "Time inhomogeneous multiple volatility modelling," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2001,7, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Okhrin, Yarema & Schmid, Wolfgang, 2006. "Distributional properties of portfolio weights," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 235-256, September.
- Garlappi, Lorenzo & Uppal, Raman & Wang, Tan, 2005.
"Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5148, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lorenzo Garlappi & Raman Uppal & Tan Wang, 2007. "Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(1), pages 41-81, January.
- Garlappi, Lorenzo & Uppal, Raman & Wang, Tan, 2005. "Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 5041, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raman Uppal & Lorenzo Garlappi & Tan Wang, 2004. "Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 54, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- N. T. Longford, 1999. "Multivariate shrinkage estimation of small area means and proportions," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 162(2), pages 227-245.
- Duan Li & Wan-Lung Ng, 2000. "Optimal Dynamic Portfolio Selection: Multiperiod Mean-Variance Formulation," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 387-406.
- Yarema Okhrin & Wolfgang Schmid, 2008. "Estimation Of Optimal Portfolio Weights," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(03), pages 249-276.
- Wang, Hansheng & Li, Guodong & Jiang, Guohua, 2007. "Robust Regression Shrinkage and Consistent Variable Selection Through the LAD-Lasso," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 347-355, July.
- Jeff Fleming, 2001. "The Economic Value of Volatility Timing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 329-352, 02.
- Zhenyu Wang, 2005. "A Shrinkage Approach to Model Uncertainty and Asset Allocation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(2), pages 673-705.
- Aiolfi, Marco & Timmermann, Allan, 2006. "Persistence in forecasting performance and conditional combination strategies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 31-53.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1986. "Bayes-Stein Estimation for Portfolio Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 279-292, September.
- Martin R. Young & Peter J. Lenk, 1998. "Hierarchical Bayes Methods for Multifactor Model Estimation and Portfolio Selection," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(11-Part-2), pages S111-S124, November.
- Vasyl Golosnoy & Yarema Okhrin, 2007. "Multivariate Shrinkage for Optimal Portfolio Weights," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(5), pages 441-458.
- Klein, Roger W. & Bawa, Vijay S., 1976. "The effect of estimation risk on optimal portfolio choice," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 215-231, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:33:y:2009:i:2:p:317-328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.