Approximating payoffs and pricing formulas
We use the ideas developed by Madan and Milne (1994. Mathematical Finance 3, 223-245), Lacoste (1996. Mathematical Finance 6, 197-213) to explore the optimality of polynomial approximations in pricing securities. In particular, we look at the approximations for security payoffs as well as the associated pricing formula in a L2 framework. We apply these ideas to two examples, one where the state variable follows an Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process and one based on Brownian motion with reflecting barriers, to illustrate the strengths and weaknesses of the approach.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars Peter Hansen & Jose Alexandre Scheinkman, 1993.
"Back to the Future: Generating Moment Implications for Continuous-Time Markov Processes,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Scheinkman, Jose Alexandre, 1995. "Back to the Future: Generating Moment Implications for Continuous-Time Markov Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 767-804, July.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Alexandre Scheinkman, Jose & Touzi, Nizar, 1998. "Spectral methods for identifying scalar diffusions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-32, June.
- Amershi, Amin H, 1985. " A Complete Analysis of Full Pareto Efficiency in Financial Markets for Arbitrary Preferences," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1235-43, September.
- Chapman, David A, 1997.
" Approximating the Asset Pricing Kernel,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1383-1410, September.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1994.
"Assessing Specification Errors in Stochastic Discount Factor Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1997. " Assessing Specification Errors in Stochastic Discount Factor Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 557-90, June.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1994. "Assessing specification errors in stochastic discount factor models," Staff Report 167, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Vincent Lacoste, 1996. "Wiener Chaos: A New Approach To Option Hedging," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 197-213.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Jamshidian, Farshid, 1989. " An Exact Bond Option Formula," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 205-09, March.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9736 is not listed on IDEAS
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Renault, Eric & Touzi, Nizar, 1998. "Testing For Embeddability By Stationary Reversible Continuous-Time Markov Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 744-769, December.
- John, Kose, 1984. "Market Resolution and Valuation in Incomplete Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 29-44, March.
- Dilip B. Madan & Frank Milne, 1994.
"Contingent Claims Valued And Hedged By Pricing And Investing In A Basis,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 223-245.
- Frank Milne & Dilip Madan, 1994. "Contingent Claims Valued And Hedged By Pricing And Investing In A Basis," Working Papers 1158, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Bansal, Ravi & Viswanathan, S, 1993. " No Arbitrage and Arbitrage Pricing: A New Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1231-62, September.
- Peter A. Abken & Dilip B. Madan & Buddhavarapu Sailesh Ramamurtie, 1996. "Estimation of risk-neutral and statistical densities by Hermite polynomial approximation: with an application to Eurodollar futures options," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 96-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Bansal, Ravi & Hsieh, David A & Viswanathan, S, 1993. " A New Approach to International Arbitrage Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1719-47, December.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:24:y:2000:i:11-12:p:1721-1746. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.