Embeddedness, cooperation and popular-economy firms in the informal sector
This paper is motivated by empirical observations on popular-economy firms (PEFs) in the informal sector of Santiago de Chile. These are labor-managed firms embedded in popular milieu where cooperation between their members plays a central role. This paper develops a (partial equilibrium) microeconomic theory of PEFs. First, it endogeneizes the level of cooperation between the workers. Second, it develops a static and a dynamic model to analyze whether embeddedness influences the behavior of the PEF. Embeddedness is assumed to be captured by three different characteristics suggested by the empirical observations. Most of them influence the employment and income levels in the PEF.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Georges Christophre, 1994. "A Dynamic Macroeconomic Model of the Labor-Managed Economy," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 46-63, February.
- Huizinga, F. & Schiantarelli, F., 1992.
"Dynamics and Asymetric Adjustment in Insider-Outsider Models,"
92-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Huizinga, F & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1992. "Dynamics and Asymmetric Adjustment in Insider-Outsider Models," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1451-66, November.
- Jones, Stephen R G & McKenna, C J, 1994. "A Dynamic Model of Union Membership and Employment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 61(242), pages 179-89, May.
- Carruth, Alan A & Oswald, Andrew J, 1987. "On Union Preferences and Labour Market Models: Insiders and Outsi ders," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(386), pages 431-45, June.
- Estrin, Saul & Jones, Derek C. & Svejnar, Jan, 1987. "The productivity effects of worker participation: Producer cooperatives in western economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 40-61, March.
- Ben Rogaly, 1997. "Embedded markets: Hired labour arrangements in west Bengal agriculture," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2), pages 209-223.
- Bonin, John P, 1984. "Membership and Employment in an Egalitarian Cooperative," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(23), pages 295-305, August.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834.
- Sherwin Rosen, 1985.
"Implicit Contracts: A Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
1635, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Georg Kirchsteiger & Ernst Fehr, 1994.
"Insider power, wage discrimination, and fairness,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/5923, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J, 1988.
"Cooperation, Harassment, and Involuntary Unemployment: An Insider-Outsider Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 167-88, March.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1987. "Cooperation, Harassment, and Involuntary Unemployment: An Insider-Outsider Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 196, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elster, Jon, 1989. "Social Norms and Economic Theory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 99-117, Fall.
- Kidd, David P & Oswald, Andrew J, 1987. "A Dynamic Model of Trade Union Behaviour," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(215), pages 355-65, August.
- Philippe Hugon, 1996. "Incertitude, précarité et financement local : le cas des économies africaines," Revue Tiers Monde, Programme National Persée, vol. 37(145), pages 13-40.
- Kahana, Nava & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1989. "More on alternative objectives of labor-managed firms," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 527-538, December.
- Kahana, Nava & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1993. "The Theory of the Labour-Managed Firm Revisited: The Voluntary Interactive Approach," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 937-45, July.
- Brewer, Anthony A & Browning, Martin J, 1982. "On the 'Employment' Decision of a Labour-Managed Firm," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 49(194), pages 141-46, May.
- Spinnewyn, Frans & Svejnar, Jan, 1990.
"Optimal Membership, Employment, and Income Distribution in Unionized and Labor-Managed Firms,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(3), pages 317-40, July.
- SPINNEWYN, Frans & SVEJNAR, Jan, . "Optimal membership, employment, and income distribution in unionized and labor-managed firms," CORE Discussion Papers RP 929, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Herbert A. Simon, 1992.
"Altruism and Economics,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 18(1), pages 73-83, Winter.
- Jones, Stephen R. G., 1987. "Union membership and employment dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 197-200.
- Steinherr, A. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979. "Are labor-managers really perverse?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 137-142.
- Will Bartlett & John Cable & Saul Estrin & Derek C. Jones & Stephen C. Smith, 1992. "Or-Managed Cooperatives and Private Firms in North Central Italy: An Empirical Comparison," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 103-118, October.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Caputo, Michael R., 1992. "Comparative dynamics in the labor-managed model of the firm," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 272-286, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:deveco:v:61:y:2000:i:1:p:175-204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.