Embeddedness, cooperation and popular-economy firms in the informal sector
This paper is motivated by empirical observations on popular-economy firms (PEFs) in the informal sector of Santiago de Chile. These are labor-managed firms embedded in popular milieu where cooperation between their members plays a central role. This paper develops a (partial equilibrium) microeconomic theory of PEFs. First, it endogeneizes the level of cooperation between the workers. Second, it develops a static and a dynamic model to analyze whether embeddedness influences the behavior of the PEF. Embeddedness is assumed to be captured by three different characteristics suggested by the empirical observations. Most of them influence the employment and income levels in the PEF.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, June.
- Jones, Stephen R G & McKenna, C J, 1994. "A Dynamic Model of Union Membership and Employment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 61(242), pages 179-89, May.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J, 1988.
"Cooperation, Harassment, and Involuntary Unemployment: An Insider-Outsider Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 167-88, March.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1987. "Cooperation, Harassment, and Involuntary Unemployment: An Insider-Outsider Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 196, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kahana, Nava & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1993. "The Theory of the Labour-Managed Firm Revisited: The Voluntary Interactive Approach," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 937-45, July.
- Caputo, Michael R., 1992. "Comparative dynamics in the labor-managed model of the firm," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 272-286, June.
- Ben Rogaly, 1997. "Embedded markets: Hired labour arrangements in west Bengal agriculture," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2), pages 209-223.
- Fehr, Ernst & Kirchsteiger, Georg, 1994.
"Insider Power, Wage Discrimination and Fairness,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 571-83, May.
- Will Bartlett & Saul Estrin & John Cable & Stephen Smith, 1992. "Labor-managed cooperatives and private firms in north central Italy: An empirical comparison," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 103-118, October.
- Philippe Hugon, 1996. "Incertitude, précarité et financement local : le cas des économies africaines," Revue Tiers Monde, Programme National Persée, vol. 37(145), pages 13-40.
- Carruth, Alan A & Oswald, Andrew J, 1987. "On Union Preferences and Labour Market Models: Insiders and Outsi ders," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(386), pages 431-45, June.
- Georges Christophre, 1994. "A Dynamic Macroeconomic Model of the Labor-Managed Economy," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 46-63, February.
- Brewer, Anthony A & Browning, Martin J, 1982. "On the 'Employment' Decision of a Labour-Managed Firm," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 49(194), pages 141-46, May.
- Sherwin Rosen, 1985.
"Implicit Contracts: A Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
1635, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Jones, Stephen R. G., 1987. "Union membership and employment dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 197-200.
- Steinherr, A. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979. "Are labor-managers really perverse?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 137-142.
- Bonin, John P, 1984. "Membership and Employment in an Egalitarian Cooperative," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(23), pages 295-305, August.
- Spinnewyn, Frans & Svejnar, Jan, 1990.
"Optimal Membership, Employment, and Income Distribution in Unionized and Labor-Managed Firms,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(3), pages 317-40, July.
- SPINNEWYN, Frans & SVEJNAR, Jan, . "Optimal membership, employment, and income distribution in unionized and labor-managed firms," CORE Discussion Papers RP -929, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Herbert A. Simon, 1992.
"Altruism and Economics,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 18(1), pages 73-83, Winter.
- Kidd, David P & Oswald, Andrew J, 1987. "A Dynamic Model of Trade Union Behaviour," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(215), pages 355-65, August.
- Huizinga, F & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1992.
"Dynamics and Asymmetric Adjustment in Insider-Outsider Models,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1451-66, November.
- Huizinga, F. & Schiantarelli, F., 1992. "Dynamics and Asymetric Adjustment in Insider-Outsider Models," Working Papers 92-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Estrin, Saul & Jones, Derek C. & Svejnar, Jan, 1987. "The productivity effects of worker participation: Producer cooperatives in western economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 40-61, March.
- Elster, Jon, 1989. "Social Norms and Economic Theory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 99-117, Fall.
- Kahana, Nava & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1989. "More on alternative objectives of labor-managed firms," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 527-538, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:deveco:v:61:y:2000:i:1:p:175-204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.