Probabilistic wind speed forecasting using Bayesian model averaging with truncated normal components
Bayesian model averaging (BMA) is a statistical method for post-processing forecast ensembles of atmospheric variables, obtained from multiple runs of numerical weather prediction models, in order to create calibrated predictive probability density functions (PDFs). The BMA predictive PDF of the future weather quantity is the mixture of the individual PDFs corresponding to the ensemble members and the weights and model parameters are estimated using forecast ensembles and validating observations from a given training period. A BMA model for calibrating wind speed forecasts is introduced using truncated normal distributions as conditional PDFs and the method is applied to the ALADIN-HUNEPS ensemble of the Hungarian Meteorological Service and to the University of Washington Mesoscale Ensemble. Three parameter estimation methods are proposed and each of the corresponding models outperforms the traditional gamma BMA model both in calibration and in accuracy of predictions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 75 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gneiting, Tilmann & Larson, Kristin & Westrick, Kenneth & Genton, Marc G. & Aldrich, Eric, 2006. "Calibrated Probabilistic Forecasting at the Stateline Wind Energy Center: The Regime-Switching SpaceTime Method," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 968-979, September.
- Lee, Gyemin & Scott, Clayton, 2012. "EM algorithms for multivariate Gaussian mixture models with truncated and censored data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(9), pages 2816-2829.
- Sloughter, J. McLean & Gneiting, Tilmann & Raftery, Adrian E., 2010. "Probabilistic Wind Speed Forecasting Using Ensembles and Bayesian Model Averaging," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(489), pages 25-35.
- Thordis L. Thorarinsdottir & Tilmann Gneiting, 2010. "Probabilistic forecasts of wind speed: ensemble model output statistics by using heteroscedastic censored regression," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 173(2), pages 371-388.
- Gneiting, Tilmann & Raftery, Adrian E., 2007. "Strictly Proper Scoring Rules, Prediction, and Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 359-378, March.
- Chen, Shu-Chuan (Grace) & Lindsay, Bruce, 2014. "Improving mixture tree construction using better EM algorithms," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 17-25.