Estimation for the single-index models with random effects
In this paper, we generalize the single-index models to the scenarios with random effects. The introduction of the random effects raises interesting inferential challenges. Instead of treating the variance matrix as the tuning parameters in the nonparametric model of Gu and Ma (2005), we propose root-n consistent estimators for the variance components. Furthermore, the single-index part in our model avoids the curse of dimensionality and makes our model simpler. The variance components also cannot be treated as nuisance parameters and are canceled in the estimation procedure like Wang et al. (2010). A new set of estimating equations modified for the boundary effects is proposed to estimate the index coefficients. The link function is estimated by using the local linear smoother. Asymptotic normality is established for the proposed estimators. Also, the estimator of the link function achieves optimal convergence rate. These results facilitate the construction of confidence regions and hypothesis testing for the parameters of interest. Simulations show that our methods work well for high-dimensional p.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bo E. Honoré & Ekaterini Kyriazidou, 2000. "Panel Data Discrete Choice Models with Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 839-874, July.
- Yingcun Xia & Howell Tong & W. K. Li & Li-Xing Zhu, 2002. "An adaptive estimation of dimension reduction space," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(3), pages 363-410.
- Wu H. & Zhang J-T., 2002. "Local Polynomial Mixed-Effects Models for Longitudinal Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 883-897, September.
- Field, C. A. & Pang, Zhen & Welsh, A. H., 2010. "Bootstrapping Robust Estimates for Clustered Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(492), pages 1606-1616.
- Carro, Jesus M., 2007. "Estimating dynamic panel data discrete choice models with fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 503-528, October.
- Xia, Yingcun, 2006. "Asymptotic Distributions For Two Estimators Of The Single-Index Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(06), pages 1112-1137, December.
- Liugen Xue, 2010. "Empirical Likelihood Local Polynomial Regression Analysis of Clustered Data," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 37(4), pages 644-663.
- Masry, Elias & Tjøstheim, Dag, 1995. "Nonparametric Estimation and Identification of Nonlinear ARCH Time Series Strong Convergence and Asymptotic Normality: Strong Convergence and Asymptotic Normality," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 258-289, February.
- Bai, Yang & Fung, Wing K. & Zhu, Zhong Yi, 2009. "Penalized quadratic inference functions for single-index models with longitudinal data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 152-161, January.
- Prasad Naik & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2000. "Partial least squares estimator for single-index models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 763-771.
- Xue, Liu-Gen & Zhu, Lixing, 2006. "Empirical likelihood for single-index models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(6), pages 1295-1312, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:6:p:1837-1853. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.