Bias-corrected GEE estimation and smooth-threshold GEE variable selection for single-index models with clustered data
In this paper, we present an estimation approach based on generalized estimating equations and a variable selection procedure for single-index models when the observed data are clustered. Unlike the case of independent observations, bias-correction is necessary when general working correlation matrices are used in the estimating equations. Our variable selection procedure based on smooth-threshold estimating equations (Ueki (2009) ) can automatically eliminate irrelevant parameters by setting them as zeros and is computationally simpler than alternative approaches based on shrinkage penalty. The resulting estimator consistently identifies the significant variables in the index, even when the working correlation matrix is misspecified. The asymptotic property of the estimator is the same whether or not the nonzero parameters are known (in both cases we use the same estimating equations), thus achieving the oracle property in the sense of Fan and Li (2001) . The finite sample properties of the estimator are illustrated by some simulation examples, as well as a real data application.
Volume (Year): 105 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bai, Yang & Fung, Wing K. & Zhu, Zhong Yi, 2009. "Penalized quadratic inference functions for single-index models with longitudinal data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 152-161, January.
- Delecroix, Michel & Härdle, Wolfgang & Hristache, Marian, 2003. "Efficient estimation in conditional single-index regression," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 213-226, August.
- Yu Y. & Ruppert D., 2002. "Penalized Spline Estimation for Partially Linear Single-Index Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1042-1054, December.
- Chang, Ziqing & Xue, Liugen & Zhu, Lixing, 2010. "On an asymptotically more efficient estimation of the single-index model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(8), pages 1898-1901, September.
- Fan, Jianqing & Huang, Tao & Li, Runze, 2007. "Analysis of Longitudinal Data With Semiparametric Estimation of Covariance Function," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 632-641, June.
- Zou, Hui, 2006. "The Adaptive Lasso and Its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1418-1429, December.
- Li, Gaorong & Zhu, Lixing & Xue, Liugen & Feng, Sanying, 2010. "Empirical likelihood inference in partially linear single-index models for longitudinal data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 718-732, March.
- Xia, Yingcun & Härdle, Wolfgang, 2006. "Semi-parametric estimation of partially linear single-index models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(5), pages 1162-1184, May.
- Lixing Zhu & Liugen Xue, 2006. "Empirical likelihood confidence regions in a partially linear single-index model," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(3), pages 549-570.
- Masao Ueki, 2009. "A note on automatic variable selection using smooth-threshold estimating equations," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(4), pages 1005-1011.
- Prasad Naik & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2000. "Partial least squares estimator for single-index models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 763-771.
- Fan J. & Li R., 2001. "Variable Selection via Nonconcave Penalized Likelihood and its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1348-1360, December.
- Jianqing Fan & Runze Li, 2004. "New Estimation and Model Selection Procedures for Semiparametric Modeling in Longitudinal Data Analysis," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 710-723, January.
- Efang Kong & Yingcun Xia, 2007. "Variable selection for the single‐index model," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(1), pages 217-229.
- Wong, Heung & Ip, Wai-cheung & Zhang, Riquan, 2008. "Varying-coefficient single-index model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 1458-1476, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:105:y:2012:i:1:p:422-432. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.