Hierarchical multilinear models for multiway data
Reduced-rank decompositions provide descriptions of the variation among the elements of a matrix or array. In such decompositions, the elements of an array are expressed as products of low-dimensional latent factors. This article presents a model-based version of such a decomposition, extending the scope of reduced-rank methods to accommodate a variety of data types such as longitudinal social networks and continuous multivariate data that are cross-classified by categorical variables. The proposed model-based approach is hierarchical, in that the latent factors corresponding to a given dimension of the array are not a priori independent, but exchangeable. Such a hierarchical approach allows more flexibility in the types of patterns that can be represented.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph Kruskal, 1976. "More factors than subjects, tests and treatments: An indeterminacy theorem for canonical decomposition and individual differences scaling," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 41(3), pages 281-293, September.
- Boik, Robert J., 1989. "Reduced-rank models for interaction in unequally replicated two-way classifications," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 69-87, January.
- David J. Spiegelhalter & Nicola G. Best & Bradley P. Carlin & Angelika van der Linde, 2002. "Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(4), pages 583-639.
- Tsukuma, Hisayuki, 2008. "Admissibility and minimaxity of Bayes estimators for a normal mean matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(10), pages 2251-2264, November.
- Tomasi, Giorgio & Bro, Rasmus, 2006. "A comparison of algorithms for fitting the PARAFAC model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1700-1734, April.
- Tsukuma, Hisayuki, 2009. "Generalized Bayes minimax estimation of the normal mean matrix with unknown covariance matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(10), pages 2296-2304, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:1:p:530-543. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.