Hierarchical multilinear models for multiway data
Reduced-rank decompositions provide descriptions of the variation among the elements of a matrix or array. In such decompositions, the elements of an array are expressed as products of low-dimensional latent factors. This article presents a model-based version of such a decomposition, extending the scope of reduced-rank methods to accommodate a variety of data types such as longitudinal social networks and continuous multivariate data that are cross-classified by categorical variables. The proposed model-based approach is hierarchical, in that the latent factors corresponding to a given dimension of the array are not a priori independent, but exchangeable. Such a hierarchical approach allows more flexibility in the types of patterns that can be represented.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomasi, Giorgio & Bro, Rasmus, 2006. "A comparison of algorithms for fitting the PARAFAC model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1700-1734, April.
- Tsukuma, Hisayuki, 2009. "Generalized Bayes minimax estimation of the normal mean matrix with unknown covariance matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(10), pages 2296-2304, November.
- Joseph Kruskal, 1976. "More factors than subjects, tests and treatments: An indeterminacy theorem for canonical decomposition and individual differences scaling," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 281-293, September.
- Boik, Robert J., 1989. "Reduced-rank models for interaction in unequally replicated two-way classifications," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 69-87, January.
- Tsukuma, Hisayuki, 2008. "Admissibility and minimaxity of Bayes estimators for a normal mean matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(10), pages 2251-2264, November.
- David J. Spiegelhalter & Nicola G. Best & Bradley P. Carlin & Angelika van der Linde, 2002. "Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(4), pages 583-639.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:1:p:530-543. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.