Bayesian nonparametric quantile regression using splines
A new technique based on Bayesian quantile regression that models the dependence of a quantile of one variable on the values of another using a natural cubic spline is presented. Inference is based on the posterior density of the spline and an associated smoothing parameter and is performed by means of a Markov chain Monte Carlo algorithm. Examples of the application of the new technique to two real environmental data sets and to simulated data for which polynomial modelling is inappropriate are given. An aid for making a good choice of proposal density in the Metropolis-Hastings algorithm is discussed. The new nonparametric methodology provides more flexible modelling than the currently used Bayesian parametric quantile regression approach.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurini, Fabrizio & Pauli, Francesco, 2009. "Smoothing sample extremes: The mixed model approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(11), pages 3842-3854, September.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731, March.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001. "Quantile Regression," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005. "Quantile Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, December.
- Kottas A. & Gelfand A.E., 2001. "Bayesian Semiparametric Median Regression Modeling," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1458-1468, December.
- Doksum, Kjell & Koo, Ja-Yong, 2000. "On spline estimators and prediction intervals in nonparametric regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 67-82, November.
- Lejeune, Michel G. & Sarda, Pascal, 1988. "Quantile regression: a nonparametric approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 229-239, April.
- Wang, You-Gan & Shao, Quanxi & Zhu, Min, 2009. "Quantile regression without the curse of unsmoothness," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(10), pages 3696-3705, August.
- Athanasios Kottas & Milovan Krnjajic, 2009. "Bayesian Semiparametric Modelling in Quantile Regression," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 36(2), pages 297-319.
- Yu, Keming & Moyeed, Rana A., 2001. "Bayesian quantile regression," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 437-447, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:54:y:2010:i:4:p:1138-1150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.