Efficient Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model
In this paper two kernel-based nonparametric estimators are proposed for estimating the components of an additive quantile regression model. The first estimator is a computationally convenient approach which can be viewed as a viable alternative to the method of De Gooijer and Zerom (2003). With the aim to reduce variance of the first estimator, a second estimator is defined via sequential fitting of univariate local polynomial quantile smoothing for each additive component with the other additive components replaced by the corresponding estimates from the first estimator. The second estimator achieves oracle efficiency in the sense that each estimated additive component has the same variance as in the case when all other additive components were known. Asymptotic properties are derived for both estimators under dependent processes that are strictly stationary and absolutely regular. We also provide a demonstrative empirical application of additive quantile models to ambulance travel times.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 38 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0303-6898|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0303-6898|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae (Simon) Lee, 2004.
"Nonparametric estimation of an additive quantile regression model,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP07/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Lee, Sokbae, 2005. "Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1238-1249, December.
- Sokbae Lee & Joel L. Horowitz, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 721, Econometric Society.
- Toshio Honda, 2000. "Nonparametric Estimation of a Conditional Quantile for α-Mixing Processes," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 459-470, September.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275.
- Doksum, Kjell & Koo, Ja-Yong, 2000. "On spline estimators and prediction intervals in nonparametric regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 67-82, November.
- Manzan, Sebastiano & Zerom, Dawit, 2005. "Kernel estimation of a partially linear additive model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(4), pages 313-322, May.
- Keming Yu & Zudi Lu, 2004. "Local Linear Additive Quantile Regression," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 31(3), pages 333-346.
- Cai, Zongwu & Ould-Saïd, Elias, 2003. "Local M-estimator for nonparametric time series," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 433-449, December.
- Cai, Zongwu & Xu, Xiaoping, 2009.
"Nonparametric Quantile Estimations for Dynamic Smooth Coefficient Models,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 371-383.
- Cai, Zongwu & Xu, Xiaoping, 2008. "Nonparametric Quantile Estimations for Dynamic Smooth Coefficient Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1595-1608.
- Xiaoping Xu & Zongwu Cai, 2013. "Nonparametric Quantile Estimations For Dynamic Smooth Coefficient Models," Papers 2013-10-14, Working Paper.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- De Gooijer J.G. & Zerom D., 2003. "On Additive Conditional Quantiles With High Dimensional Covariates," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 135-146, January.
- Lee, Sokbae, 2003. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation Of A Partially Linear Quantile Regression Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 1-31, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:scjsta:v:38:y:2011:i:1:p:46-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.