Bayesian variable selection for Poisson regression with underreported responses
Variable selection for Poisson regression when the response variable is potentially underreported is considered. A logistic regression model is used to model the latent underreporting probabilities. An efficient MCMC sampling scheme is designed, incorporating uncertainty about which explanatory variables affect the dependent variable and which affect the underreporting probabilities. Validation data is required in order to identify and estimate all parameters. A simulation study illustrates favorable results both in terms of variable selection and parameter estimation. Finally, the procedure is applied to a real data example concerning deaths from cervical cancer.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Gerlach & Ron Bird & Anthony D. Hall, 2000. "A Bayesian Approach to Variable Selection in Logistic Regression with Application to Predicting Earnings Direction from Accounting Information," Research Paper Series 47, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Smith, Michael & Kohn, Robert, 1996.
"Nonparametric regression using Bayesian variable selection,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 317-343, December.
- Smith, M. & Kohn, R., . "Nonparametric Regression using Bayesian Variable Selection," Statistics Working Paper _009, Australian Graduate School of Management.
- Roldán Nofuentes, J.A. & Luna del Castillo, J.D. & Montero Alonso, M.A., 2009. "Determining sample size to evaluate and compare the accuracy of binary diagnostic tests in the presence of partial disease verification," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 742-755, January.
- Leonhard Knorr-Held, 1999. "Conditional Prior Proposals in Dynamic Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 26(1), pages 129-144.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:54:y:2010:i:12:p:3289-3299. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.