A neuro-computational intelligence analysis of the ecological footprint of nations
The per capita ecological footprint (EF) is one of the most-widely recognized measures of environmental sustainability. It seeks to quantify the Earth's biological capacity required to support human activity. This study uses three neuro-computational methodologies: multi-layer perceptron neural network (MLP), probabilistic neural network (PNN) and generalized regression neural network (GRNN) to predict and classify the EF of 140 nations. Accuracy indices are used to assess the prediction and classification accuracy of the three methodologies. The study shows that neuro-computational models outperform traditional statistical techniques such as regression analysis and discriminant analysis in predicting and classifying per capita EF due to their robustness and flexibility of modeling algorithms.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Tian-Shyug & Chiu, Chih-Chou & Chou, Yu-Chao & Lu, Chi-Jie, 2006. "Mining the customer credit using classification and regression tree and multivariate adaptive regression splines," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 1113-1130, February.
- Mohamed M. Mostafa, 2004. "Forecasting the Suez Canal traffic: a neural network analysis," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(2), pages 139-156, April.
- Karen Ehrhardt-Martinez & Edward M. Crenshaw & J. Craig Jenkins, 2002. "Deforestation and the Environmental Kuznets Curve: A Cross-National Investigation of Intervening Mechanisms," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 83(1), pages 226-243.
- McDonald, Garry W. & Patterson, Murray G., 2004. "Ecological Footprints and interdependencies of New Zealand regions," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 49-67, September.
- J. Stuart McMenamin & Frank A. Monforte, 1998. "Short Term Energy Forecasting with Neural Networks," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 43-61.
- Shouhong Wang, 1995. "The Unpredictability of Standard Back Propagation Neural Networks in Classification Applications," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(3), pages 555-559, March.
- Gorr, Wilpen L. & Nagin, Daniel & Szczypula, Janusz, 1994. "Comparative study of artificial neural network and statistical models for predicting student grade point averages," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 17-34, June.
- Yang, Z. R. & Platt, Marjorie B. & Platt, Harlan D., 1999. "Probabilistic Neural Networks in Bankruptcy Prediction," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 67-74, February.
- Shunsuke Managi, 2006. "Pollution, natural resource and economic growth: an econometric analysis," International Journal of Global Environmental Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 6(1), pages 73-88.
- Hornborg, Alf, 1998. "Towards an ecological theory of unequal exchange: articulating world system theory and ecological economics," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 127-136, April.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Krueger, Alan B., 1996. "The inverted-U: what does it mean?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 119-122, February.
- van Vuuren, D. P. & Smeets, E. M. W., 2000. "Ecological footprints of Benin, Bhutan, Costa Rica and the Netherlands," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 115-130, July.
- Bagliani Marco & Bravo Giangiacomo & Dalmazzone Silvana, 2006.
"A Consumption-based Approach to Environmental Kuznets Curves Using the Ecological Footprint Indicatory,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers
200601, University of Turin.
- Bagliani, Marco & Bravo, Giangiacomo & Dalmazzone, Silvana, 2008. "A consumption-based approach to environmental Kuznets curves using the ecological footprint indicator," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 650-661, April.
- White, Thomas J., 2007. "Sharing resources: The global distribution of the Ecological Footprint," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 402-410, December.
- Kuldeep Kumar & Sukanto Bhattacharya, 2006. "Artificial neural network vs linear discriminant analysis in credit ratings forecast: A comparative study of prediction performances," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(3), pages 216-227, August.
- Darbellay, Georges A. & Slama, Marek, 2000. "Forecasting the short-term demand for electricity: Do neural networks stand a better chance?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 71-83.
- Sam Mirmirani & H.C. Li, 2004. "Gold Price, Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithm," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 23(2), pages 193-200, 03.
- Farzan Aminian & E. Suarez & Mehran Aminian & Daniel Walz, 2006. "Forecasting Economic Data with Neural Networks," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 28(1), pages 71-88, August.
- Moreno, David & Marco, Paulina & Olmeda, Ignacio, 2006. "Self-organizing maps could improve the classification of Spanish mutual funds," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 1039-1054, October.
- Andersson, Jan Otto & Lindroth, Mattias, 2001. "Ecologically unsustainable trade," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 113-122, April.
- Susmita Dasgupta & Benoit Laplante & Hua Wang & David Wheeler, 2002. "Confronting the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 147-168, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:53:y:2009:i:9:p:3516-3531. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.