How should firms selectively hedge? Resolving the selective hedging puzzle
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Stulz, René M., 1984. "Optimal Hedging Policies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 127-140, June.
- Fabling, Richard & Grimes, Arthur, 2008. "Do Exporters Cut the Hedge? Who Hedges, When and Why?," Occasional Papers 08/2, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/3433 is not listed on IDEAS
- Neuberger, Anthony, 1999. "Hedging Long-Term Exposures with Multiple Short-Term Futures Contracts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(3), pages 429-459.
- Lioui, Abraham & Poncet, Patrice, 1996. "Optimal hedging in a dynamic futures market with a nonnegativity constraint on wealth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(6-7), pages 1101-1113.
- Svensson, Lars E. O. & Werner, Ingrid M., 1993.
"Nontraded assets in incomplete markets : Pricing and portfolio choice,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1149-1168, June.
- Svensson, L.E. & Werner, I., 1990. "Nontraded Assets in Incomplete Markets: Pricing and Portfolio Choices," Papers 477, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1984. "Futures markets and commodity options: Hedging and optimality in incomplete markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 275-300, April.
- Duffie, Darrell & Jackson, Matthew O., 1990. "Optimal hedging and equilibrium in a dynamic futures market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 21-33, February.
- Adam, Tim R. & Fernando, Chitru S., 2006. "Hedging, speculation, and shareholder value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 283-309, August.
- Shi, Lan, 2011. "Respondable risk and incentives for CEOs: The role of information-collection and decision-making," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 189-205, February.
- Lioui, Abraham & Poncet, Patrice, 2001. "On optimal portfolio choice under stochastic interest rates," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(11), pages 1841-1865, November.
- René M. Stulz, 1996. "Rethinking Risk Management," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(3), pages 8-25.
- Fauver, Larry & Naranjo, Andy, 2010. "Derivative usage and firm value: The influence of agency costs and monitoring problems," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 719-735, December.
- Duffie, Darrell & Stanton, Richard, 1992. "Pricing continuously resettled contingent claims," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 561-573.
- Adler, Michael & Detemple, Jerome B, 1988. " On the Optimal Hedge of a Nontraded Cash Position," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 143-153, March.
- Gregory W. Brown & Peter R. Crabb & David Haushalter, 2006. "Are Firms Successful at Selective Hedging?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(6), pages 2925-2950, November.
- Tufano, Peter, 1996. " Who Manages Risk? An Empirical Examination of Risk Management Practices in the Gold Mining Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1097-1137, September.
- Cox, John C. & Huang, Chi-fu, 1989. "Optimal consumption and portfolio policies when asset prices follow a diffusion process," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 33-83, October.
- Smith, Clifford W. & Stulz, René M., 1985. "The Determinants of Firms' Hedging Policies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 391-405, December.
- Chow, Gregory C., 1993. "Optimal control without solving the Bellman equation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 621-630, July.
- Michael Faulkender, 2005. "Hedging or Market Timing? Selecting the Interest Rate Exposure of Corporate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 931-962, April.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kim, Huong Trang & Papanastassiou, Marina & Nguyen, Quang, 2017. "Multinationals and the impact of corruption on financial derivatives use and firm value: Evidence from East Asia," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 39-59.
- Luiz Rossi, José, 2013. "Hedging, selective hedging, or speculation? Evidence of the use of derivatives by Brazilian firms during the financial crisis," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 415-433.
More about this item
KeywordsSelective hedging; Value hedge; Financial forwards and futures; Long-term exposure;
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:corfin:v:18:y:2012:i:3:p:560-569. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jcorpfin .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.