Preferential policies and income inequality: Evidence from Special Economic Zones and Open Cities in China
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-920, July.
- Sylvie Démurger & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Wing Thye Woo & Shuming Bao & Gene Chang & Andrew Mellinger, 2002.
"Geography, Economic Policy, and Regional Development in China,"
Asian Economic Papers,
MIT Press, vol. 1(1), pages 146-197.
- Sylvie Demurger & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Wing Thye Woo & Shuming Bao & Gene Chang & Andrew Mellinger, 2001. "Geography, Economic Policy and Regional Development in China," CID Working Papers 77A, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Sylvie Demurger & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Wing Thye Woo & Shuming Bao & Gene Chang & Andrew Mellinger, 2002. "Geography, Economic Policy and Regional Development in China," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1950, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Sylvie Demurger & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Wing Thye Woo & Shuming Bao, Gene Chang & Andrew Mellinger, 2002. "Geography, Economic Policy, and Regional Development in China," NBER Working Papers 8897, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sylvie DEMURGER & BAO & CHANG & MELLINGER & SACHS & Wing Thye WOO, 2001. "Geography, Economic Policy and Regional Development in China," Working Papers 200109, CERDI.
- Simon Alder & Lin Shao & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2016.
"Economic reforms and industrial policy in a panel of Chinese cities,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 305-349, December.
- Simon Alder & Lin Shao & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2013. "Economic reforms and industrial policy in a panel of Chinese cities," UBSCENTER - Working Papers 005, UBS International Center of Economics in Society - Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Alder, Simon & Shao, Lin & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2013. "Economic Reforms and Industrial Policy in a Panel of Chinese Cities," CEPR Discussion Papers 9748, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Liu, Zhiqiang, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment and Technology Spillover: Evidence from China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 579-602, September.
- Simon Alder & Lin Shao & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2012.
"The Effect of Economic Reform and Industrial Policy in a Panel of Chinese Cities,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c017_061, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Lin Shao & Fabrizio Zilibotti & Simon Alder, 2013. "The Effect of Economic Reform and Industrial Policy in a Panel of Chinese Cities," 2013 Meeting Papers 1309, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Chi, Wei & Li, Bo & Yu, Qiumei, 2011. "Decomposition of the increase in earnings inequality in urban China: A distributional approach," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 299-312, September.
- Brandt, Loren & Holz, Carsten A, 2006.
"Spatial Price Differences in China: Estimates and Implications,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(1), pages 43-86, October.
- Loren Brandt & Carsten A. Holz, 2006. "Spatial Price Differences in China: Estimates and Implications," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 43-86.
- Loren Brandt & Carsten Holz, 2005. "Spatial Price Differences in China: Estimates and Implications," Microeconomics 0512001, EconWPA.
- Loren BRANDT & Carsten A HOLZ, 2005. "Spatial Price Differences in China: Estimates and Implications," Development and Comp Systems 0504010, EconWPA.
- Jones, Derek C. & Li, Cheng & Owen, Ann L., 2003.
"Growth and regional inequality in China during the reform era,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 186-200.
- Derek C. Jones & Cheng Li & Ann L. Owen, 2003. "Growth and Regional Inequality in China During the Reform Era," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-561, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Chenggang Xu, 2011. "The Fundamental Institutions of China's Reforms and Development," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1076-1151, December.
- Ge, Wei, 1999. "Special Economic Zones and the Opening of the Chinese Economy: Some Lessons for Economic Liberalization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1267-1285, July.
- Sherry Tao Kong, 2010. "Rural–Urban Migration in China: Survey Design and Implementation," Chapters,in: The Great Migration, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Cheng, Leonard K. & Kwan, Yum K., 2000. "What are the determinants of the location of foreign direct investment? The Chinese experience," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 379-400, August.
- Wan, Guanghua (ed.), 2008. "Inequality and Growth in Modern China," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199535194.
- Anthony Shorrocks, 2013. "Decomposition procedures for distributional analysis: a unified framework based on the Shapley value," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 11(1), pages 99-126, March.
- John Knight, 2014. "Inequality in China: An Overview," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 29(1), pages 1-19.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1984. "Inequality Decomposition by Population Subgroups," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1369-1385, November.
- Wang, Jin, 2013. "The economic impact of Special Economic Zones: Evidence from Chinese municipalities," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 133-147.
- Fan, Shenggen & Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2010. "China’s Regional Disparities: Experience and Policy," Working Papers 57041, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Xing, Chunbing & Li, Shi, 2012.
"Residual wage inequality in urban China, 1995–2007,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 205-222.
- Xing, Chunbing, 2010. "Residual Wage Inequality in Urban China, 1995-2007," IZA Discussion Papers 5003, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chen, Shaohua & Ravallion, Martin & Wang, Youjuan, 2006. "Di Bao : a guaranteed minimum income in urban China?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3805, The World Bank.
- James E. Foster & Artyom A. Shneyerov, 1999. "A general class of additively decomposable inequality measures," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 14(1), pages 89-111.
- World Bank, 2011. "Reducing Inequality for Shared Growth in China : Strategy and Policy Options for Guangdong Province," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2251.
- Foster, James E. & Shneyerov, Artyom A., 2000. "Path Independent Inequality Measures," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 199-222, April.
More about this item
KeywordsChina; Urban income inequality; Preferential policies; Special Economic Zones; Spatial decomposition;
- O15 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:chieco:v:40:y:2016:i:c:p:228-240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/chieco .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.