The relationship between technical efficiency and industrial concentration: Evidence from the Indonesian food and beverages industry
This paper investigates the relationship between technical efficiency and industrial concentration in the Indonesian food and beverages sector. Firm-level data obtained from the Indonesian Bureau of Central Statistics (BPS) are used to estimate technical efficiency scores and calculate measures of industrial concentration. The results show that the food and beverages industry is characterized by high industrial concentration and firms in the industry are inefficient. The Granger-causality test suggests a one-way direction of causality, with industrial concentration having a negative impact on technical efficiency, at the sector level. This suggests that the quiet-life hypothesis, rather than the efficient-structure hypothesis, applies to the Indonesian food and beverages industry.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K.P. Kalirajan & R.T. Shand, 1992. "Causality between Technical and Allocative Efficiencies: An Empirical Testing," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(2), pages 3-17, May.
- Charles Delorme & David Kamerschen & Peter Klein & Lisa Ford Voeks, 2002.
"Structure, conduct and performance: a simultaneous equations approach,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(17), pages 2135-2141.
- Charles DeLorme & Peter Klein & David Kamerschen & Lisa Ford Voeks, 2003. "Structure, conduct and performance: a simultaneous equations approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 13-20.
- Mercedes Gumbau-Albert & Joaquin Maudos, 2002. "The determinants of efficiency: the case of the Spanish industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(15), pages 1941-1948.
- Maman Setiawan & Grigorios Emvalomatis & Alfons Oude Lansink, 2011.
"Industrial concentration and price-cost margin in the Indonesian food and beverages sector,"
- Maman Setiawan & Grigorios Emvalomatis & Alfons Oude Lansink, 2012. "Industrial concentration and price-cost margin of the Indonesian food and beverages sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(29), pages 3805-3814, October.
- Gerard Go & David Kamerschen & Charles Delorme, 1999. "Market structure and price-cost margins in Philippine manufacturing industries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(7), pages 857-864.
- Tybout, James R. & Westbrook, M. Daniel, 1995. "Trade liberalization and the dimensions of efficiency change in Mexican manufacturing industries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 53-78, August.
- André p. Liebenberg & David r. Kamerschen, 2008. "Structure, Conduct And Performance Analysis Of The South African Auto Insurance Market: 1980-2000," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(2), pages 228-238, 06.
- Al-Muharrami, Saeed & Matthews, Kent, 2009.
"Market Power versus Efficient-Structure in Arab GCC Banking,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2009/7, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Saeed Al-Muharrami & Kent Matthews, 2009. "Market power versus efficient-structure in Arab GCC banking," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(18), pages 1487-1496.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Khalilzadeh-Shirazi, Javad, 1974. "Market Structure and Price-Cost Margins in United Kingdom Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(1), pages 67-76, February.
- Allen, Albert J. & Shaik, Saleem & Myles, Albert E. & Muhammad, Safdar, 2005. "The Structure Performance Hypothesis and The Efficient Structure Performance Hypothesis-Revisited: The Case of Agribusiness Commodity and Food Products Truck Carriers in the South," 2005 Annual Meeting, February 5-9, 2005, Little Rock, Arkansas 35519, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Alam, Ila M Semenick & Morrison, Andrew R, 2000. "Trade Reform Dynamics and Technical Efficiency: The Peruvian Experience," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 309-30, May.
- Kumbhakar,Subal C. & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 2003. "Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521666633, April.
- Kelly Bird, 1999. "Concentration in Indonesia Manufacturing, 1975-93," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 43-73.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Mueller, Willard F & Hamm, Larry G, 1974. "Trends in Industrial Market Concentration, 1947 to 1970," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(4), pages 511-20, November.
- Stigler, George J, 1976. "The Xistence of X-Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 213-16, March.
- Clarke, Roger & Davies, Stephen W, 1982. "Market Structure and Price-Cost Margins," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 49(195), pages 277-87, August.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995.
"Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., . "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mohamad Ikhsan, 2007. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Indonesian Manufacturing: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 321-342.
- Margono, Heru & Sharma, Subhash C., 2006. "Efficiency and productivity analyses of Indonesian manufacturing industries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 979-995, December.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Gupta, Vinod K, 1983. "A Simultaneous Determination of Structure, Conduct and Performance in Canadian Manufacturing," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 281-301, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:asieco:v:23:y:2012:i:4:p:466-475. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.