A panel data analysis of the determinants of oil consumption: The case of Australia
The goal of this paper is to examine the determinants of oil consumption for a panel consisting of six Australian States and one territory, namely Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia, and the Northern territory, for the period 1985-2006. We find that oil consumption, oil prices and income are panel cointegrated. We estimate long-run elasticities and find that oil prices have had a statistically insignificant impact on oil consumption, while income has had a statistically significant positive effect on oil consumption.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 86 (2009)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juncal Cuñado & Fernando Pérez de Gracia, 2001.
"Do oil price shocks matter? Evidence for some European countries,"
01-02, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Cunado, Juncal & Perez de Gracia, Fernando, 2003. "Do oil price shocks matter? Evidence for some European countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 137-154, March.
- Juncal Cuñado & Fernando Pérez de Gracia, . "Do Oil Price Shocks Matter? Evidence For Some Europesan Countries," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 01-02, FEDEA.
- Goldschmidt, Peter, 1988. "Domestic appliance energy usage in Western Australia," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Prasad, Arti & Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Jashwini, 2007. "Exploring the oil price and real GDP nexus for a small island economy, the Fiji Islands," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6506-6513, December.
- Matteo Manera & Alessandro Cologni, 2005.
"Oil Prices, Inflation and Interest Rates in a Structural Cointegrated VAR Model for the G-7 Countries,"
2005.101, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Cologni, Alessandro & Manera, Matteo, 2008. "Oil prices, inflation and interest rates in a structural cointegrated VAR model for the G-7 countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 856-888, May.
- Hsu, Yi-Chung & Lee, Chien-Chiang & Lee, Chi-Chuan, 2008. "Revisited: Are shocks to energy consumption permanent or temporary? New evidence from a panel SURADF approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2314-2330, September.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999. " Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Worthington, Andrew & Kay-Spratley, Adam & Higgs, Helen, 2005.
"Transmission of prices and price volatility in Australian electricity spot markets: a multivariate GARCH analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 337-350, March.
- Andrew C. Worthington & Adam Kay-Spratley & Helen Higgs, 2002. "Transmission of prices and price volatility in Australian electricity spot markets: A multivariate GARCH analysis," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 114, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Chen, Pei-Fen & Lee, Chien-Chiang, 2007. "Is energy consumption per capita broken stationary? New evidence from regional-based panels," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3526-3540, June.
- Svetlana Maslyuk & Russell Smyth, 2007.
"Non-Linear Unit Root Properties of Crude Oil Production,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
39-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Maslyuk, Svetlana & Smyth, Russell, 2009. "Non-linear unit root properties of crude oil production," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 109-118, January.
- Hu, Xinmin & Grozev, George & Batten, David, 2005. "Empirical observations of bidding patterns in Australia's National Electricity Market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(16), pages 2075-2086, November.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Smyth, Russell, 2005. "Electricity consumption, employment and real income in Australia evidence from multivariate Granger causality tests," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1109-1116, June.
- Doroodian, K. & Boyd, Roy, 2003. "The linkage between oil price shocks and economic growth with inflation in the presence of technological advances: a CGE model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 989-1006, August.
- Jinke, Li & Hualing, Song & Dianming, Geng, 2008. "Causality relationship between coal consumption and GDP: Difference of major OECD and non-OECD countries," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 85(6), pages 421-429, June.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Chang, Chun-Ping, 2008. "Energy consumption and economic growth in Asian economies: A more comprehensive analysis using panel data," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 50-65, January.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Seema & Smyth, Russell, 2008. "Are oil shocks permanent or temporary? Panel data evidence from crude oil and NGL production in 60 countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 919-936, May.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Samimi, Rodney, 1995. "Road transport energy demand in Australia: A cointegration approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 329-339, October.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Smyth, Russell, 2005. "The residential demand for electricity in Australia: an application of the bounds testing approach to cointegration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 467-474, March.
- John C.B. Cooper, 2003. "Price elasticity of demand for crude oil: estimates for 23 countries," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 27(1), pages 1-8, 03.
- Chan, Kam Fong & Gray, Philip & van Campen, Bart, 2008. "A new approach to characterizing and forecasting electricity price volatility," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 728-743.
- Abosedra, Salah & Dah, Abdallah & Ghosh, Sajal, 2009. "Electricity consumption and economic growth, the case of Lebanon," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(4), pages 429-432, April.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Prasad, Arti, 2008. "Electricity consumption-real GDP causality nexus: Evidence from a bootstrapped causality test for 30 OECD countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 910-918, February.
- Zou, Gaolu & Chau, K.W., 2006. "Short- and long-run effects between oil consumption and economic growth in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3644-3655, December.
- Van Hoa, Tran & Ironmonger, D. S. & Manning, I., 1983. "Energy consumption in Australia : Evidence from a generalized working model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 383-389.
- Peter Pedroni, 2000.
"Fully Modified OLS for Heterogeneous Cointegrated Panels,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-03, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Tom Doan, . "PANELFM: RATS procedure to perform panel data group mean FMOLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00151, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Charleson, Lee R. & Juerg Weber, E., 1993. "Energy forecasts for Western Australia 1992-2010," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 111-122, April.
- Yoo, Seung-Hoon, 2006. "Causal relationship between coal consumption and economic growth in Korea," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 83(11), pages 1181-1189, November.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Smyth, Russell, 2007. "A panel cointegration analysis of the demand for oil in the Middle East," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6258-6265, December.
- Mishra, Vinod & Sharma, Susan & Smyth, Russell, 2009. "Are fluctuations in energy consumption per capita transitory? Evidence from a panel of Pacific Island countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2318-2326, June.
- Sohn, Ira, 1987. "External debt and oil prices : Some prospects for oil-exporting developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 408-420, October.
- Hogan, Lindsay & Naughten, Barry, 1990. "Some general equilibrium effects of declining crude oil production in Australia," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 242-250, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:86:y:2009:i:12:p:2771-2775. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.