Forecasting in a Mixed Up World: Nowcasting Hawaii Tourism
We evaluate the short term forecasting performance of methods that systematically incorporate high frequency information via covariates. Our study provides a thorough introduction of these methods to the tourism literature. We highlight the distinguishing features and limitations of each tool and evaluate their forecasting performance in two tourism-specific applications. The first uses monthly indicators to predict quarterly tourist arrivals to Hawaii; the second predicts quarterly labor income in the accommodations and food services sector. Our results indicate that compared to the exclusive use of low frequency aggregates, including timely intra-period data in the forecasting process results in significant gains in predictive accuracy. Anticipating growing popularity of these techniques among empirical analysts, we present practical implementation guidelines to facilitate their adoption.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 63 (2017)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/annals-of-tourism-research/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Ghysels & Arthur Sinko & Rossen Valkanov, 2007. "MIDAS Regressions: Further Results and New Directions," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(1), pages 53-90.
- Baumeister, Christiane & Guérin, Pierre & Kilian, Lutz, 2015.
"Do high-frequency financial data help forecast oil prices? The MIDAS touch at work,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 238-252.
- Baumeister, Christiane & Guérin, Pierre & Kilian, Lutz, 2013. "Do High-Frequency Financial Data Help Forecast Oil Prices? The MIDAS Touch at Work," CEPR Discussion Papers 9768, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baumeister, Christiane & Guérin, Pierre & Kilian, Lutz, 2013. "Do high-frequency financial data help forecast oil prices? The MIDAS touch at work," CFS Working Paper Series 2013/22, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christiane Baumeister & Pierre Guérin & Lutz Kilian, 2014. "Do High-Frequency Financial Data Help Forecast Oil Prices? The MIDAS Touch at Work," Staff Working Papers 14-11, Bank of Canada.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107.
- Haiyan Song & Peter Romilly & Xiaming Liu, 2000. "An empirical study of outbound tourism demand in the UK," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(5), pages 611-624.
- Jansen, W. Jos & Jin, Xiaowen & de Winter, Jasper M., 2016. "Forecasting and nowcasting real GDP: Comparing statistical models and subjective forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 411-436.
- Jos Jansen & Xiaowen Jin & Jasper de Winter, 2012. "Forecasting and nowcasting real GDP: Comparing statistical models and subjective forecasts," DNB Working Papers 365, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Schumacher, Christian, 2014. "MIDAS and bridge equations," Discussion Papers 26/2014, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Camacho, Maximo & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Poncela, Pilar, 2013. "Short-term Forecasting for Empirical Economists: A Survey of the Recently Proposed Algorithms," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 6(2), pages 101-161, November.
- Maximo Camacho & Gabriel Perez-Quiros & Pilar Poncela, 2013. "Short-term forecasting for empirical economists. A survey of the recently proposed algorithms," Working Papers 1318, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-144, January.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-263, July.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Fuleky, 2012. "On the choice of the unit period in time series models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(12), pages 1179-1182, August.
- Peter Fuleky, 2011. "On the Choice of the Unit Period in Time Series Models," Working Papers 201111, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Peter Fuleky, 2011. "On the Choice of the Unit Period in Time Series Models," Working Papers 2011-4, University of Hawaii Economic Research Organization, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Ghysels, Eric & Santa-Clara, Pedro & Valkanov, Rossen, 2004. "The MIDAS Touch: Mixed Data Sampling Regression Models," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt9mf223rs, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Eric Ghysels & Pedro Santa-Clara & Rossen Valkanov, 2004. "The MIDAS Touch: Mixed Data Sampling Regression Models," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-20, CIRANO.
- Ashley, Richard, 1998. "A new technique for postsample model selection and validation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 647-665, May.
- Harvey, David & Leybourne, Stephen & Newbold, Paul, 1997. "Testing the equality of prediction mean squared errors," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-291, June.
- Fuleky, Peter & Bonham, Carl S., 2015. "Forecasting With Mixed-Frequency Factor Models In The Presence Of Common Trends," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(04), pages 753-775, June.
- Jennie Bai & Eric Ghysels & Jonathan H. Wright, 2013. "State Space Models and MIDAS Regressions," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 779-813, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)