Inflation and Financial Sector Correlation: The Case of Bangladesh
This paper examines the impact of inflation on financial development in case of Bangladesh for the period of 1985-2005. In doing so, ARDL bounds testing approach and Error Correction Method (ECM) have been employed. Empirical findings reveal that high trends of inflation impede the performance of financial markets. GDP per capita promotes development of financial sector through its causal channels.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1987.
"The Inflation Tax in a Real Business Cycle Model,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
496, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," Papers 88-05, Rochester, Business - General.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," RCER Working Papers 155, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993. "Finance, entrepreneurship and growth: Theory and evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 513-542, December.
- Joseph H. Haslag & Jahyeong Koo, 1999. "Financial repression, financial development and economic growth," Working Papers 9902, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine, 2002.
"Stock Markets, Banks, and Growth: Panel Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
9082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John H. Boyd & Bruce A. Champ, 2003. "Inflation and financial market performance: what have we learned in the last ten years," Working Paper 0317, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 1998. "Law, Finance, and Firm Growth," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2107-2137, December.
- Ehrlich, Isaac, 1977. "The Deterrent Effect of Capital Punishment: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 452-58, June.
- Todd E. Clark, 1993.
"Cross-country evidence on long run growth and inflation,"
Research Working Paper
93-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Clark, Todd E, 1997. "Cross-country Evidence on Long-Run Growth and Inflation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 35(1), pages 70-81, January.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Jose De Gregorio, 1993. "Credit Markets and Stagnation in an Endogenous Growth Model," IMF Working Papers 93/72, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert Mundell, 1963. "Inflation and Real Interest," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 280.
- Bullard, James & Keating, John W., 1995. "The long-run relationship between inflation and output in postwar economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 477-496, December.
- Alessandra Bonfiglioli, 2005.
"Equities and inequality,"
Economics Working Papers
947, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-98, April.
- Michael Bruno & William Easterly, 1995.
"Inflation Crises and Long-Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bencivenga, V.R. & Smith, B.D., 1988.
"Some Consequences Of Credit Rationing In An Endogenous Growth Model,"
RCER Working Papers
159, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Bencivenga, Valerie R. & Smith, Bruce D., 1993. "Some consequences of credit rationing in an endogenous growth model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 97-122.
- Ross Levine & Sara Zervos, .
"Stock markets, banks and economic growth ,"
CERF Discussion Paper Series
95-11, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1993.
"The role of macroeconomic factors in growth,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 485-512, December.
- Kim, Dong-Hyeon & Lin, Shu-Chin, 2010. "Dynamic Relationship Between Inflation And Financial Development," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(03), pages 343-364, June.
- Manoel Bittencourt, 2007.
"Inflation and Financial Development: Evidence from Brazil,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
165, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Bittencourt, Manoel, 2011. "Inflation and financial development: Evidence from Brazil," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 91-99, January.
- Bittencourt, Manoel, 2011. "Inflation and financial development: Evidence from Brazil," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 91-99.
- Bittencourt, Manoel, 2007. "Inflation and Financial Development: Evidence from Brazil," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Göttingen 2007 1, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Manoel Bittencourt, 2008. "Inflation and Financial Development: Evidence from Brazil," Working Papers 67, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Bittencourt, Manoel, 2008. "Inflation and Financial Development: Evidence from Brazil," Working Paper Series RP2008/14, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Ben Naceur Samy & Ghazouani Samir, 2005. "Does Inflation Impact on Financial Sector Performance in the MENA Region?," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 3(3), pages 48-58, December.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- Haug, Alfred A, 2002. " Temporal Aggregation and the Power of Cointegration Tests: A Monte Carlo Study," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(4), pages 399-412, September.
- Manoel F. Bittencourt, 2007. "Inflation and Finance: Evidence from Brazil," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 07/163, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- English, William B., 1999. "Inflation and financial sector size," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 379-400, December.
- De Gregorio, Jose, 1993. "Inflation, taxation, and long-run growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 271-298, June.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Faridul Islam, 2011.
"Financial Development And Income Inequality In Pakistan: An Application Of Ardl Approach,"
Journal of Economic Development,
Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 35-58, March.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Islam, Faridul, 2011. "Financial development and income inequality in Pakistan: An application of ARDL approach," MPRA Paper 28222, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ1:2011-04-1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.