Exports and Firm survival: The first evidence from Vietnam private manufacturing SMEs
This study contributes to the literature by investigating for the first time linkages between export behaviour and firm survival in Vietnam. Using an unbalanced panel dataset from 2005-09, our study shows no difference in the survival probability among exporters only, importers only, or two-way traders with non-traders. However, by digging deeper into export status, the results indicate that the probability of firm survival has a positive association with continuous exporters, but is negatively linked with export stoppers. Furthermore, our results also indicate that SMEs pursuing an indirect export mode exhibit a higher probability of survival than SMEs that export directly. These findings are robust to various econometric specifications.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011.
"Exports, Imports and Firm Survival: First Evidence for Manufacturing Enterprises in Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5924, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2013. "Exports, imports and firm survival: first evidence for manufacturing enterprises in Germany," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 149(1), pages 113-130, March.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "Exports, Imports and Firm Survival: First evidence for manufacturing enterprises in Germany," Working Paper Series in Economics 211, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Giorgio Ricchiuti & Margherita Velucchi, 2011.
"Size, innovation and internationalization: a survival analysis of Italian firms,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(12), pages 1511-1520.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Giorgio Ricchiuti & Margherita Velucchi, 2007. "Size, Innovation and Internationalization: A Survival Analysis of Italian Firms," Working Papers - Economics wp2007_07, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Huong Vu & Steven Lim & Mark Holmes & Tinh Doan, 2012.
"Firm Exporting and Employee Benefits: First Evidence from Vietnam Manufacturing SMEs,"
Working Papers in Economics
12/12, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Huong Vu & Steven Lim & Mark Holmes & Tinh Doan, 2013. "Firm Exporting and Employee Benefits: First Evidence from Vietnam Manufacturing SMEs," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 519-535.
- Greenaway, David & Guariglia, Alessandra & Kneller, Richard, 2007. "Financial factors and exporting decisions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 377-395, November.
- Cynthia Benzing & Hung Manh Chu & Gerard Callanan, 2005. "A Regional Comparison Of The Motivation And Problems Of Vietnamese Entrepreneurs," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 3-27.
- Jolanda Hessels & Siri Terjesen, 2010. "Resource dependency and institutional theory perspectives on direct and indirect export choices," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 203-220, February.
- Shiferaw, Admasu, 2009. "Survival of Private Sector Manufacturing Establishments in Africa: The Role of Productivity and Ownership," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 572-584, March.
- Chandan Sharma & Ritesh Kumar Mishra, 2011. "Does export and productivity growth linkage exist? Evidence from the Indian manufacturing industry," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(6), pages 633-652, November.
- Cefis, Elena & Marsili, Orietta, 2012. "Going, going, gone. Exit forms and the innovative capabilities of firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 795-807.
- Henrik Hansen & John Rand & Finn Tarp, 2009. "Enterprise Growth and Survival in Vietnam: Does Government Support Matter?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 1048-1069, August.
- Hakkala, Katariina & Kokko , Ari, 2007. "The State And The Private Sector In Vietnam," EIJS Working Paper Series 236, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Jozef Konings & Ana Xavier, 2002. "Firm Growth and Survival in a Transition Country: Micro Evidence from Slovenia," LICOS Discussion Papers 11402, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Sarah Bridges & Alessandra Guariglia, 2008. "Financial Constraints, Global Engagement, And Firm Survival In The United Kingdom: Evidence From Micro Data," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 55(4), pages 444-464, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-13-00285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.