Enterprise Growth and Survival in Vietnam: Does Government Support Matter?
This paper analyses whether direct government assistance during start-up and other forms of interaction with the state sector have influenced the long-run performance of small and medium-sized manufacturing enterprises (SMEs) in Vietnam. Using three partly overlapping surveys during the period 1990-2000, we find strong effects on firm dynamics from interaction with state institutions. Enterprises which have the state sector as their main customer perform better. This is so for both survival and growth. Moreover, temporary tax exemptions during firm start-up had a separate and positive influence on long-run growth for non-household enterprises and initial credit support seems to benefit rural firms.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/FJDS20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hehui Jin & Yingyi Qian, 1998. "Public Versus Private Ownership of Firms: Evidence from Rural China," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 773-808.
- Iqbal, Farrukh & Urata, Shujiro, 2002. "Small Firm Dynamism in East Asia: An Introductory Overview," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 18(1-3), pages 1-12, Feb.- May.
- Stoyan Tenev & Amanda Carlier & Omar Chaudry & Quynh-Trang Nguyen, 2003. "Informality and the Playing Field in Vietnam's Business Sector," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15084.
- Pablo Fajnzylber & William F. Maloney & Gabriel V. Montes-Rojas, 2009. "Releasing Constraints to Growth or Pushing on a String? Policies and Performance of Mexican Micro-Firms," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 1027-1047, August.
- Richard E. Caves, 1998. "Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1947-1982, December.
- Carol Newman & John Rand & Finn Tarp, 2007.
"Sector Switching: An Unexplored Dimension of Firm Dynamics in Developing Countries,"
07-22, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Carol Newman & John Rand & Finn Tarp, 2007. "Sector Switching: An Unexplored Dimension of Firm Dynamics in Developing Countries," Trinity Economics Papers tep1007, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Carol Newman & John Rand & Finn Tarp, 2007. "Sector Switching: An Unexplored Dimension of Firm Dynamics in Developing Countries," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp230, IIIS.
- James Tybout, 1999.
"Manufacturing Firms in Developing Countries: How Well Do They Do, and Why?,"
Development and Comp Systems
9906001, EconWPA, revised 10 Jun 1999.
- James R. Tybout, 2000. "Manufacturing Firms in Developing Countries: How Well Do They Do, and Why?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(1), pages 11-44, March.
- Tybout, James, 1998. "Manufacuring firms in developing countries - how well do they do, and why?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1965, The World Bank.
- James Tybout, 1998. "Manufacturing Firms In Developing Countries: How Well Do They Do, And Why?," Development and Comp Systems 9805004, EconWPA.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Richard Ericson & Ariel Pakes, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82.
- John Sutton, 1997. "Gibrat's Legacy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 40-59, March.
- Soderbom, Mans & Teal, Francis & Harding, Alan, 2006. "The Determinants of Survival among African Manufacturing Firms," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(3), pages 533-55, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jdevst:v:45:y:2009:i:7:p:1048-1069. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.