Precocity and labor market outcomes: Evidence from professional basketball
We show that precocity, as measured by the age of entry into the elite-level professional basketball labor pool, often leads to better career outcomes. Our findings cast doubt on the on-court efficacy of the National Basketball Association's contentious age eligibility rule.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dennis Coates & Babatunde Oguntimein, 2010.
"The Length and Success of NBA Careers: Does College Production Predict Professional Outcomes?,"
International Journal of Sport Finance,
Fitness Information Technology, vol. 5(1), pages 4-26, February.
- Dennis Coates & Babatunde Oguntimein, 2008. "The Length and Success of NBA Careers: Does College Production Predict Professional Outcomes?," Working Papers 0806, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Peter Groothuis & James Richard Hill & Timothy Perri, 2009.
"The dilemma of choosing talent: Michael Jordans are hard to find,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(25), pages 3193-3198.
- Peter A. Groothuis & Richard Hill & Timothy Perri, 2007. "The Dilemma of Choosing Talent: Michael Jordans are Hard to Find," Working Papers 07-01, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Daron Acemoglu, 1996. "A Microfoundation for Social Increasing Returns in Human Capital Accumulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(3), pages 779-804.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 2000. "The Sports Business as a Labor Market Laboratory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 75-94, Summer.
- Erick Eschker & Stephen Perez & Mark Siegler, 2004. "The NBA and the influx of international basketball players," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(10), pages 1009-1020.
- David Berri & Stacey Brook & Aju Fenn, 2011. "From college to the pros: predicting the NBA amateur player draft," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 25-35, February.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1983. "Specialization and Human Capital," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(1), pages 43-49, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-11-00248. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.