Tax Evasion and Dynamic Inefficiency
I show within a two-period overlapping generations model with income tax evasion that when the penalty rate set by the government is su¢ ciently small, it is theoretically possible for the capital stock to exceed the golden-rule level on the balanced-growth path. However, such a dynamic inefficiency cannot be guaranteed when the probability of evasion detection is nil.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Abel & Gregory N. Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard Zeckhauser, .
"Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
14-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- María-José Gutiérrez, 2008.
"Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(4), pages 563-594, 08.
- Gutiérrez Huerta, María José, 2002. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs," DFAEII Working Papers 2002-23, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- María José Gutiérrez, 2004. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/38, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Alm, James & Bahl, Roy & Murray, Matthew N., 1993. "Audit selection and income tax underreporting in the tax compliance game," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-33, October.
- Partha Sengupta, 1998. "Tax evasion and intertemporal choice," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(4), pages 420-430, December.
- Been-Lon Chen, 2003. "Tax Evasion in a Model of Endogenous Growth," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(2), pages 381-403, April.
- Rangan Gupta, 2005. "Endogenous Tax Evasion and Reserve Requirements: A Comparative Study in the Context of European Economies," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 328, Society for Computational Economics.
- Joel Slemrod, 2007. "Cheating Ourselves: The Economics of Tax Evasion," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 25-48, Winter.
- Emmanuel Thibault & Bruno Decreuse, 2001. "Labor productivity and dynamic efficiency," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(13), pages 1-6.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-08d90011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.