Tax Evasion and Dynamic Inefficiency
I show within a two-period overlapping generations model with income tax evasion that when the penalty rate set by the government is su¢ ciently small, it is theoretically possible for the capital stock to exceed the golden-rule level on the balanced-growth path. However, such a dynamic inefficiency cannot be guaranteed when the probability of evasion detection is nil.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emmanuel Thibault & Bruno Decreuse, 2001. "Labor productivity and dynamic efficiency," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(13), pages 1-6.
- Mar�A-José Gutiérrez, 2008.
"Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(4), pages 563-594, 08.
- María José Gutiérrez, 2004. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/38, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Gutiérrez Huerta, María José, 2002. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs," DFAEII Working Papers 2002-23, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Alm, James & Bahl, Roy & Murray, Matthew N., 1993. "Audit selection and income tax underreporting in the tax compliance game," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-33, October.
- Joel Slemrod, 2007. "Cheating Ourselves: The Economics of Tax Evasion," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 25-48, Winter.
- Andrew B. Abel & N. Gregory Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1986.
"Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
2097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Abel & Gregory N. Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard Zeckhauser, . "Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 14-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Partha Sengupta, 1998. "Tax evasion and intertemporal choice," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(4), pages 420-430, December.
- Rangan Gupta, 2005. "Endogenous Tax Evasion and Reserve Requirements: A Comparative Study in the Context of European Economies," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 328, Society for Computational Economics.
- Been-Lon Chen, 2003. "Tax Evasion in a Model of Endogenous Growth," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(2), pages 381-403, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-08d90011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.