A simple explanation for the non-invariance of a Wald statistic to a reformulation of a null hypothesis
For a given null hypothesis and its reformulation, the associated Wald statistics are shown to be members of a wider family of statistics where all members are asymptotically equivalent under the null hypothesis. Therefore, the non-invariance of a Wald statistic (to a reformulation of a null hypothesis) is equivalent to using different members of the wider family and, in addition, this non-invariance implies that these members use different estimators of an appropriate variance-covariance matrix.
Volume (Year): 3 (2008)
Issue (Month): 62 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory, Allan W & Veall, Michael R, 1985. "Formulating Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1465-68, November.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1986.
"On the Formulation of Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
801, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Park, Joon Y, 1988. "On the Formulation of Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1065-83, September.
- Dagenais, M.G. & Dufour, J.M., 1987.
"Invariance, Nonlinear Models and Asymptotic Tests,"
Cahiers de recherche
8738, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dagenais, Marcel G & Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1991. "Invariance, Nonlinear Models, and Asymptotic Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1601-15, November.
- Critchley, Frank & Marriott, Paul & Salmon, Mark, 1996. "On the Differential Geometry of the Wald Test with Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1213-22, September.
- Lafontaine, Francine & White, Kenneth J., 1986. "Obtaining any Wald statistic you want," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 35-40.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A., 1989. "A General Framework for Testing a Null Hypothesis in a “Mixed” Form," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 63-82, April.
- Kemp, Gordon C. R., 2001. "Invariance and the Wald test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 209-217, September.
- Dastoor, Naorayex K., 2003. "The equality of comparable extended families of classical-type and Hausman-type statistics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 313-330, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-08c10010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.