Invariance and the Wald test
Many models and hypotheses of interest in econometrics are invariant to certain types of data transformations such as measurement unit changes. Dagenais and Dufour (1991, 1992) and Dufour and Dagenais (1992) have shown that Wald test are not invariant in general to such data transformations. In this paper, I provide a simple set of sufficient conditions to ensure that a Wald test for a null hypothesis is invariant to such a data transformation. I then use this set of conditions to help account for certain features of the Monte Carlo results from Gregory and Veall (1986) on the properties of a variety of Wald tests for Sargan's COMFAC restriction (Sargan 1980) in the first-order autoregressive distributed-lag model.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dagenais, Marcel G & Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1991.
"Invariance, Nonlinear Models, and Asymptotic Tests,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1601-1615, November.
- Dagenais, M.G. & Dufour, J.M., 1987. "Invariance, Nonlinear Models and Asymptotic Tests," Cahiers de recherche 8738, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Veall, Michael R., 1986. "Wald tests of common factor restrictions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(2-3), pages 203-208.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Park, Joon Y, 1988. "On the Formulation of Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1065-1083, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1986. "On the Formulation of Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 801, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dagenais, Marcel G. & Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1992. "On the lack of invariance of some asymptotic tests to rescaling," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 251-257, March.
- Sargan, J D, 1980. "Some Tests of Dynamic Specification for a Single Equation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 879-897, May.
- Lafontaine, Francine & White, Kenneth J., 1986. "Obtaining any Wald statistic you want," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 35-40.
- Gregory, Allan W & Veall, Michael R, 1985. "Formulating Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1465-1468, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)