The stability Pact and the coordination of fiscal policies in the EMU
This paper studies the relationship between the Stability and Growth Pact (SGP) and the coordination of fiscal policies in the EMU. Results show that the coordination is an efficient tool to increase EMU stabilization, even though the overall impact greatly varies according to the nature of the shock that occurs. Fiscal coordination appears to be compatible with the SGP and coordination gains can actually be enhanced with the SGP. Nethertheless, results are closely related to the effects of monetary and fiscal policies on output.
Volume (Year): 5 (2006)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engwerda, J.C. & van Aarle, B. & Plasmans, J.E.J., 2002.
"Cooperative and non-cooperative fiscal stabilization policies in the EMU,"
Other publications TiSEM
2cc19f3f-16ad-4fed-a701-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Engwerda, Jacob C. & van Aarle, Bas & Plasmans, Joseph E. J., 2002. "Cooperative and non-cooperative fiscal stabilization policies in the EMU," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 451-481, March.
- Beetsma, Roel & Uhlig, Harald, 1999. "An Analysis of the Stability and Growth Pact," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(458), pages 546-71, October.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1995. "Restraining Yourself: The Implications of Fiscal Rules for Economic Stabilization," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(1), pages 32-48, March.
- Bouthevillain, Carine & Cour-Thimann, Philippine & van de Dool, Gerrit & Hernández de Cos, Pablo & Langenus, Geert & Mohr, Matthias & Momigliano, Sandro & Tujula, Mika, 2001.
"Cyclically adjusted budget balances: an alternative approach,"
Working Paper Series
0077, European Central Bank.
- Bouthevillain, C. & Van Den Dool, G. & Langenus, G. & Mohr, M. & Momigliano, S. & Tujula, M. & De Cos, P.H. & Cour-Thimann, Philippine, 2001. "Cyclically Adjusted Budget Balances: an Alternative Approach," Papers 77, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Otmar Issing, 2002. "On Macroeconomic Policy Co-ordination in EMU," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 345-358, 06.
- Leith, Campbell & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 2000. "Interactions between Monetary and Fiscal Policy Rules," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C93-108, March.
- Christophe Schalck, 2006. "EMU's Fiscal Rules and Economic Stabilization," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(4), pages 1-8.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2006:i:4:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marco Buti & Carlos Martinez-Mongay & Khalid Sekkat & Paul van den Noord, 2002. "Automatic Stabilisers and Market Flexibility in EMU: Is There A Trade-Off?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 335, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-06e60002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.