Estimation of the Autoregressive Order in the Presence of Measurement Errors
Most of the existing autoregressive models presume that the observations are perfectly measured. In empirical studies, the variable of interest is unavoidably measured with various kinds of errors. Thus, misleading conclusions may be yielded due to the inconsistency of the parameter estimates caused by the measurement errors. Thus far, no theoretical result on the direction of bias of the lag order estimate is available in the literature. In this note, we will discuss the estimation an AR model in the presence of measurement errors. It is shown that the inclusion of measurement errors will drastically increase the complexity of the problem. We show that the lag lengths selected by the AIC and BIC are increasing with the sample size at a logarithmic rate.
Volume (Year): 3 (2006)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jushan Bai & Haiqiang Chen & Terence Tai-Leung Chong & Seraph Xin Wang, 2008.
"Generic consistency of the break-point estimators under specification errors in a multiple-break model,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(2), pages 287-307, 07.
- Seraph Xin Wang & Terence Tai-leung Chong & Haiqiang Chen, 2004. "Generic Consistency of the Break-Point Estimators under Specification Errors in a Multiple-Break Model," Departmental Working Papers _160, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Terence Tai-leung Chong, 2005. "Autoregressive Lag Length Selection Criteria in the Presence of ARCH Errors," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(19), pages 1-5.
- Terence Tai-Leung, Chong, 1998.
"Estimating the Differencing Parameter Via the Partial Autocorrelation Function,"
Departmental Working Papers
_088, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Chong, Terence Tai-Leung, 2000. "Estimating the differencing parameter via the partial autocorrelation function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 365-381, August.
- Chong, Terence Tai-Leung, 2001.
"Structural Change In Ar(1) Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 87-155, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-06c20003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.