Trade Liberalization and Income Inequality in India: A Poisson Distributed-Lag Analysis
This paper addresses the relationship between trade liberalization and income inequality among Indian states using a Poisson distributed-lag analysis. Two measures of income inequality are considered: the Gini coefficient and the coefficient of variation. Trade liberalization is proxied using export growth. Results indicate that there is a different pattern of responses in inequality to export growth between rural and urban households. Rural inequality tends to be more responsive in the hoped-for direction than urban inequality.
Volume (Year): 8 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaurav Datt & Martin Ravallion, 2002.
"Is India's Economic Growth Leaving the Poor Behind?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 89-108, Summer.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 2002. "Is India's economic growth leaving the poor behind?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2846, The World Bank.
- Frick, H, 1986. "A Note on a Dynamic Adjustment Equation for a Poisson Distributed Lag Model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 65-67.
- Kenneth Reinert, 1998. "Rural non-farm development: a trade-theoretic view," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 425-437.
- Prabhat Patnaik, 1997. "The context and consequences of economic liberalization in India," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 165-178.
- Mundle, S. & Tulasidhar, V.B., 1998. "Adjustment and Distribution: The Indian Experience," Papers 17, Asian Development Bank.
- Friedrich, Dieter, 1982. "A Dynamic Adjustment Equation for a Poisson Distributed Lag Model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3-4), pages 239-249.
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav, 2002. "Why has economic growth been more pro-poor in some states of India than others?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 381-400, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:8:y:2008:i:2_15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.