Unemployment In The Gulf Countries: Reasons And Remedies
It is important to note that the negative development on the Gulf States' labour market cannot be attributed to differences in the size of the working age population or the participation rates among working age people. Hence, it would be wrong to argue that labour supply has risen so much in the Gulf, no wonder that labour demand could not expand by an equivalent amount. An extreme version of this thinking is reflected in the folly notion of a lump sum of labour which argues that unemployment can only be solved by dividing more equally among workers a given pie of labour demand. This paper aims at contributing to a better understanding of indigenous problems and their impact on aggregate equilibrium unemployment and social welfare. The paper seeks to diagnose the problem in the six GCC states and suggests some method somewhat connected with a scheme for enhancing social welfare whereby to rectify the current situation with policy implications deemed appropriate for the current situation.
Volume (Year): 3 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karni, Edi, 1999. "Optimal unemployment insurance : a guide to the literature," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 20121, The World Bank.
- Dale T. Mortensen, 1977. "Unemployment Insurance and Job Search Decisions," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(4), pages 505-517, July.
- Richards, Alan, 1994. "The Egyptian farm labor market revisited," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 239-261, April.
- Mortensen, Dale T., 1983.
"A welfare analysis of unemployment insurance: Variations on second-best themes,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 67-97, January.
- Dale T. Mortensen, 1983. "A Welfare Analysis of Unemployment Insurance: Variations on Second Best Themes," Discussion Papers 549, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Vroman, Wayne, 1999. "Unemployment and unemployment protection in three groups of countries," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 20127, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:3:y:2003:i:3_16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.