The Phenomenon of Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Prices in the Euro Area
The main aim of the article is to present the influence of exchange rate fluctuations on the price dynamic in the Euro Area. The knowledge concerning the level of exchange rate pass-through to prices allows assessing how exchange rates affect on inflation and monetary policy in given states. The article consists of two parts. The first component deals with theoretical analysis of the phenomenon of incomplete exchange rate pass-through to prices, including reasons and factors determining the range of this phenomenon. In the next part of article, there is analyzed the range of exchange rate pass-through to prices in the Euro Area by using the Vector Autoregression Model (VAR). There are estimated coefficients of exchange rate pass-through to import, producer and consumer prices on the base of impulse response function. Then, there is made decomposition of the price index variance in order to assess the degree of price determination by exchange rate changes.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campa, Jose M. & Goldberg, Linda S. & Gonzalez-Minguez, Jose M., 2005.
"Exchange-rate pass-through to import prices in the euro area,"
IESE Research Papers
D/609, IESE Business School.
- Campa, José Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S. & González Mìnguez, Jose Manuel, 2005. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Import Prices in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 5347, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg & Jose M. Gonzalez-Minguez, 2005. "Exchange rate pass-through to import prices in the Euro area," Staff Reports 219, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- José M. Campa & Linda S. Goldberg & José M. González-Mínguez, 2005. "Exchange rate pass through to import prices in the euro area," Working Papers 0538, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- José Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg & José M. González-Mínguez, 2005. "Exchange-Rate Pass-Through to Import Prices in the Euro Area," NBER Working Papers 11632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lian An & Jian Wang, 2012. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through: Evidence Based on Vector Autoregression with Sign Restrictions," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 359-380, April.
- An, Lian, 2006. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through:Evidence Based on Vector Autoregression with Sign Restrictions," MPRA Paper 527, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- An, Lian & Wang, Jian, 2011. "Exchange rate pass-through: evidence based on vector autoregression with sign restrictions," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 70, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Taylor, John B., 2000. "Low inflation, pass-through, and the pricing power of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1389-1408, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Anderton, Robert, 2003. "Extra-euro area manufacturing import prices and exchange rate pass-through," Working Paper Series 219, European Central Bank.
- Steve Ambler & Ali Dib & Nooman Rebei, 2003. "Nominal Rigidities and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in a Structural Model of a Small Open Economy," Staff Working Papers 03-29, Bank of Canada.
- Anderton, Robert, 2003. "Extra-euro area manufacturing import prices and exchange rate pass-through," Working Paper Series 0219, European Central Bank.
- Giovanni P. Olivei, 2002. "Exchange rates and the prices of manufacturing products imported into the United States," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Q 1, pages 3-18. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dug:journl:y:2010:i:24:p:36-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Nuta)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.