Investment Decisions in a New Mixed Market
The analysis in Fudenberg and Tirole (1983) discusses the perfect equilibria of a continuous-time model of the strategic investment decisions of two profitmaximizing private firms in a new market and suggests that there are perfect equilibria where each firm does not invest to its steady-state reaction curve. This paper examines the perfect equilibria of a continuous-time model of the strategic investment decisions of a social-welfare-maximizing public firm and a profit-maximizing private firm in a new market and shows that there are no perfect equilibria where each firm does not invest to its steady-state reaction curve in the mixed model.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poyago-Theotoky, Joanna, 1998. "R&D Competition in a Mixed Duopoly under Uncertainty and Easy Imitation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 415-428, September.
- A. Michael Spence, 1977. "Entry, Capacity, Investment and Oligopolistic Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 534-544, Autumn.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Tirole, Jean, 1983. "Capital as a commitment: Strategic investment to deter mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 227-250, December.
- Basu, Kaushik & Singh, Nirvikar, 1985. "Commitment and entry-deterrence in a model of duopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 265-269.
- Fershtman, Chaim, 1990. "The Interdependence between Ownership Status and Market Structure: The Case of Privatization," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(227), pages 319-28, August.
- Pal, Debashis, 1998. "Endogenous timing in a mixed oligopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 181-185, November.
- Lorenz NETT, 1993. "Mixed Oligopoly With Homogeneous Goods," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 367-393, 07.
- Ware, Roger, 1984. "Sunk Costs and Strategic Commitment: A Proposed Three-Stage Equilibrium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(374), pages 370-78, June.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Marchand, Maurice & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1989.
"The Public Firm as an Instrument for Regulating an Oligopolistic Market,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 283-301, April.
- CREMER, Helmuth & MARCHAND, Maurice & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "The public firm as an instrument for regulating an oligopolistic market," CORE Discussion Papers RP -832, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cremer, H. & Marchand, M. & Thisse, J.-F., 1987. "The public firm as an instrument for regulating an oligopolistic market," CORE Discussion Papers 1987010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- A. Michael Spence, 1979. "Investment Strategy and Growth in a New Market," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 1-19, Spring.
- Toshihiro Matsumura, 2003. "Endogenous Role in Mixed Markets: A Two-Production-Period Model," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 403-413, October.
- Ohnishi, Kazuhiro, 2001. "Lifetime Employment Contract and Strategic Entry Deterrence: Cournot and Bertrand," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 30-43, March.
- Mujumdar, Sudesh & Pal, Debashis, 1998. "Effects of indirect taxation in a mixed oligopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 199-204, February.
- Ohnishi, Kazuhiro, 2002. "On the Effectiveness of the Lifetime-Employment-Contract Policy," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(6), pages 812-21, December.
- Wenders, John T, 1971. "Excess Capacity as a Barrier to Entry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 14-19, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:journl:y:2006:v:7:i:2:p:271-281. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.