Competitividad de las cooperativas hortofrutícolas: análisis del impacto económico de las acciones de calidad y medioambientales en las OPFH andaluzas
The objective of this study is to determine the impact of environmental practices and improved quality on business competition variables such as efficiency, profitability and market share among the Andalucian fresh fruit and vegetable co-operative sector. The study takes as a reference the Andalucian Co-operative Societies and Agricultural Producer Companies (currently known as Fruit and Vegetable Producer Associations–FVPA-) and the programme of incentives applied to development of this type of producer and commercial practice, considered a priority objective in the Common Market Organisations of the CAP. In the first place, we propose an analysis of the production function including the aforesaid actions as part of the productive input to determine their effect on business value-added; and secondly, an analysis through estimating simultaneous equations, beginning from the differentiating effect of investment in quality-environmental actions, and taking into account possible problems of endogeneity between variables. Results show, on one hand, a positive effect on value-added, though this (including the subsidies item) does not entirely offset the possible costs of innovation; while on the other hand, a positive correlation is observed between quality-environmental actions and sector competitiveness variables, which perhaps, up to now, represents the main incentive for this type of practice.
Volume (Year): (2002)
Issue (Month): 41 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. dels Tarongers, s/n., Despacho 2P21, 46022 Valencia|
Phone: 96 382 84 89 / 96 356 22 48
Fax: 96 382 84 92
Web page: http://www.ciriec.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xepapadeas, Anastasios & de Zeeuw, Aart, 1999.
"Environmental Policy and Competitiveness: The Porter Hypothesis and the Composition of Capital,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 165-182, March.
- Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 1998. "Environmental Policy and Competitiveness : The Porter Hypothesis and the Composition of Capital," Discussion Paper 1998-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 1999. "Environmental policy and competitiveness : The Porter hypothesis and the composition of capital," Other publications TiSEM cfb3ecf9-1a3c-4325-ac1d-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Golan, Elise H. & Kuchler, Fred & Mitchell, Lorraine, 2000. "Economics Of Food Labeling," Agricultural Economics Reports 34069, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Wayne B Gray & Ronald J Shadbegian, 1993. "Environmental Regulation And Manufacturing Productivity At The Plant Level," Working Papers 93-6, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 1993. "Environmental Regulation and Manufacturing Productivity at the Plant Level," NBER Working Papers 4321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karen Palmer & Wallace E. Oates & Paul R. Portney, 1995. "Tightening Environmental Standards: The Benefit-Cost or the No-Cost Paradigm?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 119-132, Fall.
- Mueller,Dennis C., 2009. "Profits in the Long Run," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521101592, October.
- Mueller,Dennis C., 1986. "Profits in the Long Run," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521306935, October.
- Scott, John T & Pascoe, George, 1986. "Beyond Firm and Industry Effects on Profitability in Imperfect Market s," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 284-292, May.
- Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Molyneux, Phil & Thornton, John, 1994. "Market structure and performance in Spanish banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 433-443, May.
- Rafael Llorca Vivero, 2002. "The impact of process innovations on firm's productivity growth: the case of Spain," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(8), pages 1007-1016.
- David Hitchens & Esmond Birnie & William Thompson & Ursula Triebswetter & Paolo Bertossi & Luciano Messori, 2000. "Environmental Regulation and Competitive Advantage," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1996.
- K. Oustapassidis & A. Vlachvei & O. Notta, 2000. "Efficiency and Market Power in Greek Food Industries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 623-629.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1981. "Productivity and R and D at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 0826, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holleran, Erin & Bredahl, Maury E. & Zaibet, Lokman, 1999. "Private incentives for adopting food safety and quality assurance," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 669-683, December.
- Ravenscraft, David J, 1983. "Structure-Profit Relationships at the Line of Business and Industry Level," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 22-31, February.
- Henson, Spencer & Caswell, Julie, 1999. "Food safety regulation: an overview of contemporary issues," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 589-603, December.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1979. "Quacks, Lemons, and Licensing: A Theory of Minimum Quality Standards," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1328-1346, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cic:revcir:y:2002:i:41:p:53-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafael Chaves)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.