A Benchmarking of the Undergraduate Economics Major in Europe and the United States
We compare the undergraduate Economics majors and their underlying structure in the top-ranked Economics departments of Europe and the USA, identifying the fundamental courses included in an Economics major in top-ranked universities. We further distinguish between those courses that are required and those that are usually offered as electives, finding striking differences between Europe and the USA, especially regarding the nature of the main electives offered. The insights from this comparative study may be useful for the ongoing restructuring of undergraduate Economics majors in European countries caused by the Bologna Process.
Volume (Year): 6 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Bristol, BS8 1HH, United Kingdom|
Fax: +44(0)117 331 4396
Web page: http://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/iree
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003.
"Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Discussion Papers in Economics 01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- William E. Becker, 2000. "Teaching Economics in the 21st Century," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(1), pages 109-119, Winter.
- James Dearden & Larry Taylor & Robert Thornton, 2001. "A Benchmark Profile of Economics Departments in 15 Private Universities," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 387-396, January.
- Manfred Gärtner, 2001. "Teaching Economics to Undergraduates in Europe: Volume, Structure, and Contents," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 219-230, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:che:ireepp:v:6:y:2007:i:2:p:9-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Poulter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.