Moving Monetary Policy Forward: Why Small Steps - and a Lower Inflation Target - Make Sense for the Bank of Canada
The current monetary policy agreement between the Bank of Canada and the Department of Finance is set to expire at the end of 2011. Among the policy options under consideration is the adoption of either a lower inflation target or a switch to price-level targeting. The recent financial crisis provided a costly reminder that price stability does not necessarily guarantee financial stability, and the Bank’s post-2011 mandate might include a role for asset market stability. This Commentary offers an overview of the policy options now being contemplated for the renewal of the monetary policy framework in 2011 and addresses some of the more technical issues related to the post-2011 monetary policy framework.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 319 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 67 Yonge St., Suite 300, Toronto, Ontario M5E 1J8|
Phone: (416) 865-1904
Fax: (416) 865-1866
Web page: http://www.cdhowe.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Paolo Mauro, 2010.
"Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy,"
IMF Staff Position Notes
2010/03, International Monetary Fund.
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2008. "Five Facts about Prices: A Reevaluation of Menu Cost Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1415-1464.
- Kevin D. Moore & William Robson & Alexandre Laurin, 2010. "Canada’s Looming Retirement Challenge: Will Future Retirees Be Able to Maintain Their Living Standards upon Retirement?," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 317, December.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2004.
"Some Evidence on the Importance of Sticky Prices,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(5), pages 947-985, October.
- Colin Busby & William B.P. Robson, 2010. "Disarmed and Disadvantaged: Canada’s Workers Need More Physical Capital to Confront the Productivity Challenge," e-briefs 107, C.D. Howe Institute.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2010.
"The Optimal Rate of Inflation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7864, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Jeanne & Anton Korinek, 2010.
"Managing Credit Booms and Busts: A Pigouvian Taxation Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
16377, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Jeanne & Anton Korinek, 2010. "Managing Credit Booms and Busts: A Pigouvian Taxation Approach," Working Paper Series WP10-12, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jeanne, O. & Korinek, A., 2010. "Managing Credit Booms and Busts : A Pigouvian Taxation Approach," Discussion Paper 2010-108S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jeanne, Olivier & Korinek, Anton, 2010. "Managing Credit Booms and Busts: A Pigouvian Taxation Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 8015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alexandre Laurin & William Robson, 2010. "The Public-Sector Pension Bubble: Time to Confront the Unmeasured Cost of Ottawa's Pensions," e-briefs 108, C.D. Howe Institute.
- Michael Hart, 2010. "A Matter of Trust: Expanding the Preclearance of Commerce between Canada and the United States," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 309, September.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel D., 2006.
"Monetary Policy Under Inflation Targeting: An Introduction,"
Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy),
Central Bank of Chile, vol. 9(3), pages 5-17, December.
- Frederic S. Miskin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2007. "Monetary Policy under Inflation Targeting: An Introduction," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Frederic S. Miskin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Monetary Policy under Inflation Targeting, edition 1, volume 11, chapter 1, pages 001-022 Central Bank of Chile.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2006. "Monetary Policy Under Inflation Targeting: An Introduction," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 396, Central Bank of Chile.
- Pierre Siklos & Andrew Spence, 2010. "Faceoff: Should the Bank of Canada Release its Projections of the Interest Rate Path? – The Cases For and Against," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 134, October.
- Vladimir Klyuev & Heesun Kiem & Ondra Kamenik & Douglas Laxton, 2008. "Why is Canadaâ€™s Price Level So Predictable?," IMF Working Papers 08/25, International Monetary Fund.
- Philippe Bergevin & David Laidler, 2010. "Putting Money Back into Monetary Policy: A Monetary Anchor for Price and Financial Stability," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 312, October.
- Olivier Coibion & Yuriy Gorodnichenko & Johannes Wieland, 2010.
"The Optimal Inflation Rate in New Keynesian Models,"
91, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Olivier Coibion & Yuriy Gorodnichenko & Johannes F. Wieland, 2010. "The Optimal Inflation Rate in New Keynesian Models," NBER Working Papers 16093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Giovannini, Alberto, 2010.
"Central Banks and the Financial System,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7944, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nessén, Marianne & Vestin, David, 2000.
"Average Inflation Targeting,"
Working Paper Series
119, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- John Richards, 2011. "School Dropouts: Who Are They and What Can Be Done?," e-briefs 109, C.D. Howe Institute.
- Michael D. Bordo & Angela Redish, 2006. "70 Years of Central Banking: The Bank of Canada in an International Context, 1935-2005," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2005(Winter), pages 7-14.
- Benjamin Dachis, 2010. "Picking up Savings: The Benefits of Competition in Municipal Waste Services," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 308, September.
- Smets, Frank, 2003. "Maintaining price stability: how long is the medium term?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1293-1309, September.
- Robert Amano & Malik Shukayev, 2010. "Monetary Policy and the Zero Bound on Nominal Interest Rates," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2010(Summer), pages 3-10.
- Gregor W. Smith, 2009. "The Missing Links: Better Measures of Inflation and Inflation Expectations in Canada," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 287, April.
- Jotham Peters & Chris Bataille & Nic Rivers & Mark Jaccard, 2010. "Taxing Emissions, Not Income: How to Moderate the Regional Impact of Federal Environment Policy," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 314, November.
- William B.P. Robson, 2010. "The Glacier Grinds Closer: How Demographics Will Change Canada’s Fiscal Landscape," e-briefs 106, C.D. Howe Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdh:commen:319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.