The Canadian ABS Market: Where Do We Go From Here?
The asset-backed securities (ABS) market suffered a major setback during the financial crisis that began in 2007. Its role in the broader market collapse has been well documented, but the need to restore a healthy ABS market is equally clear. Indeed, North American policymakers have readily acknowledged that this market must play a major role in the global economic recovery and policymakers have recently moved beyond addressing the urgency of restarting the ABS market to considering its reform. An analysis of current reform proposals guides suggestions for a policy approach that reflects Canadian market realities. Specifically, it would be prudent in the Canadian context to impose new disclosure requirements for all public market medium-term note issuance.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 315 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 67 Yonge St., Suite 300, Toronto, Ontario M5E 1J8|
Phone: (416) 865-1904
Fax: (416) 865-1866
Web page: http://www.cdhowe.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre Siklos & Andrew Spence, 2010. "Faceoff: Should the Bank of Canada Release its Projections of the Interest Rate Path? – The Cases For and Against," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 134, October.
- Daniel Boothby & Torben Drewes, 2010. "The Payoff: Returns to University, College and Trades Education in Canada, 1980 to 2005," e-briefs 104, C.D. Howe Institute.
- Philippe Bergevin & David Laidler, 2010. "Putting Money Back into Monetary Policy: A Monetary Anchor for Price and Financial Stability," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 312, October.
- Jotham Peters & Chris Bataille & Nic Rivers & Mark Jaccard, 2010. "Taxing Emissions, Not Income: How to Moderate the Regional Impact of Federal Environment Policy," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 314, November.
- Michael Hart, 2010. "A Matter of Trust: Expanding the Preclearance of Commerce between Canada and the United States," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 309, September.
- Jan Carr, 2010. "Power Sharing: Developing Inter-Provincial Electricity Trade," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 306, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdh:commen:315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.