Commercial Sizes and Prices on the French Monkfish Fishery :A Time-Series Analysis
The total value of the Monkfish (Lophius piscatorius and L. budegassa) production seemedgreatly influenced by inter-annual price fluctuations, which could be explained by the evolutionof marketing conditions for fish In certain cases, a local market for fish can be defined so thatthe fishermen are price-makers. In the general case however, producers are subject to externalconditions to their local market. This paper addresses the formation of ex-vessel prices for asingle commercial species, Monkfish (Lophius piscatorius and L. budegassa), proposing anidentification of market integration for the Monkfish species, considering two majorcommercial sizes and different types of fishing units. A time series analysis is conducted from1994 to 2005 on a monthly basis for fishing units exploiting the groundfish communities of theBay of Biscay and the Celtic Sea. Results show that: (i) price series are globally cointegratedboth from the size of species and the size of production units; (ii) the LOP hold for thecommercial size 3 and trawlers over 16 meters.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Asche & Daniel Gordon & Rognvaldur Hannesson, 2002. "Searching for price parity in the European whitefish market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(8), pages 1017-1024.
- Shabbar Jaffry & Sean Pascoe & Catherine Robinson, 1999. "Long run price flexibilities for high valued UK fish species: a cointegration systems approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 473-481.
- Gloria González-Rivera & Steven M. Helfand, 2001. "The Extent, Pattern, and Degree of Market Integration: A Multivariate Approach for the Brazilian Rice Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 576-592.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Frank Asche & Helge Bremnes & Cathy R. Wessells, 1999.
"Product Aggregation, Market Integration, and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 568-581.
- Asche, F. & Bremnes, H. & Wessells, C.R., 1998. "Product Aggregation, Market Integration and Relationships Between Prices: an Application to World Salmon Markets," Papers 27/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Patrice Guillotreau & Ramón Jiménez-Toribio, 2006. "The Impact of Electronic Clock Auction Systems on Shellfish Prices: Econometric Evidence from a Structural Change Model," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 523-546.
- Guillotreau, Patrice, 2004. "How does the European seafood industry stand after the revolution of salmon farming: An economic analysis of fish prices," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 227-233, May.
- Newell, Richard G. & Papps, Kerry L. & Sanchirico, James N., 2007. "AJAE Appendix: Asset Pricing in Created Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(2), May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Juselius, Katarina, 2006. "The Cointegrated VAR Model: Methodology and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199285679.
- Richard G. Newell & Kerry L. Papps & James N. Sanchirico, 2007. "Asset Pricing in Created Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(2), pages 259-272.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Österholm, Pär, 2003. "The Taylor Rule: A Spurious Regression?," Working Paper Series 2003:20, Uppsala University, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bxr:bxrceb:2013/130035. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.