Intra-Industry Specialization in United States-Mexico Trade
This paper uses changes in intra-industry specialization indicators to assess factor adjustment pressures that may have been experienced by U.S. industries as a result of growth in U.S.-Mexico trade over the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) implementation period. Many industries experienced large increases in intra-industry trade. Few U.S. industries were candidates for significant factor adjustment pressures. Industries facing adjustment pressures accounted for nineteen percent of total U.S. imports from Mexico. Findings should lessen opposition to the North American Free Trade Agreement and future regional integration initiatives in the Western Hemisphere by easing fears that jobs will disappear.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdul Azhar & Robert Elliott & Chris Milner, 1998.
"Static and dynamic measurement of intra-industry trade and adjustment: A geometric reappraisal,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 134(3), pages 404-422, September.
- A.K.M. Azhar & R.J.R. Elliott & C.R. Milner,, . "Static and Dynamic Measurement of Intra-Industry Trade and Adjustment: A Geometric Reappraisal," Discussion Papers 97/13, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Rudolf M. Buitelaar & Ramón Padilla, 1996. "El comercio intraindustria de México con sus principales socios comerciales," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 11(1), pages 77-116.
- Gerardo Esquivel, 1992. "Una nota sobre el comercio intraindustrial México-Estados Unidos," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 7(1), pages 119-137.
- Don Clark, 2009. "Intraindustry Specialization and the Proposed Korea-United States Free Trade Agreement," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 181-195.
- Clark, Don P. & Sawyer, W. Charles & Sprinkle, Richard L., 2000. "Tariff Elimination Staging Categories and the North American Free Trade Agreement," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio Industria Artigianato Agricoltura di Genova, vol. 53(2), pages 141-152.
- Clark Don P. & Rees Kathleen, 2006. "Intra-Industry Specialization in Textiles and Apparel," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 6(4), pages 1-18, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:glecon:v:10:y:2010:i:2:n:1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.