Reconsidering Adjustment Costs of the Association Agreement. The Case of Hungarian Food Industry
The structure of Hungary's food trade expansion over the transition period 1995-2003 and its implications for labour-market adjustment is examined. An econometric analysis of trade and employment data suggests that changes in domestic consumption and productivity have significant influence on employment changes. Market concentration has strong positive and significant effects, while FDI has no influence on the employment changes. Our results do not provide clear support for the smooth-adjustment hypothesis of intra-industry trade. However, our results should be interpreted only with care due to sensitivity on the choice of period and lag structure.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdul Azhar & Robert Elliott & Chris Milner, 1998.
"Static and dynamic measurement of intra-industry trade and adjustment: A geometric reappraisal,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 134(3), pages 404-422, September.
- A.K.M. Azhar & R.J.R. Elliott & C.R. Milner,, . "Static and Dynamic Measurement of Intra-Industry Trade and Adjustment: A Geometric Reappraisal," Discussion Papers 97/13, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Bashir A. Qasmi & Scott W. Fausti, 2001.
"NAFTA intra-industry trade in agricultural food products,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 255-271.
- Qasmi, Bashir A. & Fausti, Scott W., 1999. "Nafta Intra Industry Trade In Agricultural Food Products," 1999 Annual Meeting, July 11-14, 1999, Fargo, ND 35689, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- A K M Azhar & R J R Elliott, 2003.
"On the Measurement of Trade-Induced Adjustment,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0309, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Abdul Azhar & Robert Elliott, 2003. "On the measurement of trade-induced adjustment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 139(3), pages 419-439, September.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert J.R. Elliott, 1998. "Adjustment to the European single market: inferences from intra-industry trade patterns," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 225-247, September.
- Neary, J Peter, 1985. "Theory and Policy of Adjustment in an Open Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 61, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Y. Kandogan, 2003. "Reconsidering the adjustment costs of the Europe agreements," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 63-68.
- Ferto, Imre & Hubbard, Lionel J., 2001. "Intra-Industry Trade In Agri-Food Products Between Hungary And The Eu," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20450, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Marius Brülhart & Robert J. R. Elliott,, . "Adjustment to the European Single Market: Inferences from Intra-Industry Trade Patterns," Discussion Papers 96/15, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Marius Brulhart & Michael Thorpe, 2000. "Intra-industry trade and adjustment in Malaysia: puzzling evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(11), pages 729-733.
- Levkovych, Inna & Luka, Oksana, 2005.
"Intra-Industry Trade in Agricultural and Food Products: The Case of Ukraine,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24632, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Luka, Oksana & Levkovych, Inna, 2004. "Intra-industry trade in agricultural and food products: the case of Ukraine," IAMO Discussion Papers 78, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Joaquín Oliveras & Inés Terra, 1997. "Marginal intra-industry trade index: The period and aggregation choice," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 133(1), pages 170-178, March.
- Jayant Menon & Peter Dixon, 1997. "Intra-industry versus inter-industry trade: Relevance for adjustment costs," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 133(1), pages 164-169, March.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert Elliott, 2002. "Labour-market effects of intra-industry trade: Evidence for the United Kingdom," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 138(2), pages 207-228, June.
- Henderson, Dennis R. & Sheldon, Ian M. & Pick, Daniel H., 1996. "International Commerce In Processed Foods: Patterns And Curiosities," Working Papers 51211, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea06:21037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.