Reconsidering Adjustment Costs of the Association Agreement. The Case of Hungarian Food Industry
The structure of Hungary's food trade expansion over the transition period 1995-2003 and its implications for labour-market adjustment is examined. An econometric analysis of trade and employment data suggests that changes in domestic consumption and productivity have significant influence on employment changes. Market concentration has strong positive and significant effects, while FDI has no influence on the employment changes. Our results do not provide clear support for the smooth-adjustment hypothesis of intra-industry trade. However, our results should be interpreted only with care due to sensitivity on the choice of period and lag structure.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neary, J Peter, 1985. "Theory and Policy of Adjustment in an Open Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 61, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luka, Oksana & Levkovych, Inna, 2004.
"Intra-industry trade in agricultural and food products: the case of Ukraine,"
IAMO Discussion Papers
78, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO).
- Levkovych, Inna & Luka, Oksana, 2005. "Intra-Industry Trade in Agricultural and Food Products: The Case of Ukraine," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24632, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Abdul Azhar & Robert Elliott & Chris Milner, 1998. "Static and dynamic measurement of intra-industry trade and adjustment: A geometric reappraisal," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 134(3), pages 404-422, September.
- A.K.M. Azhar & R.J.R. Elliott & C.R. Milner,, "undated". "Static and Dynamic Measurement of Intra-Industry Trade and Adjustment: A Geometric Reappraisal," Discussion Papers 97/13, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert J. R. Elliott,, "undated". "Adjustment to the European Single Market: Inferences from Intra-Industry Trade Patterns," Discussion Papers 96/15, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Henderson, Dennis R. & Sheldon, Ian M. & Pick, Daniel H., 1996. "International Commerce In Processed Foods: Patterns And Curiosities," Working Papers 51211, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Marius Brulhart & Michael Thorpe, 2000. "Intra-industry trade and adjustment in Malaysia: puzzling evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(11), pages 729-733.
- Bashir A. Qasmi & Scott W. Fausti, 2001. "NAFTA intra-industry trade in agricultural food products," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 255-271.
- Qasmi, Bashir A. & Fausti, Scott W., 1999. "Nafta Intra Industry Trade In Agricultural Food Products," 1999 Annual Meeting, July 11-14, 1999, Fargo, ND 35689, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Abdul Azhar & Robert Elliott, 2003. "On the measurement of trade-induced adjustment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 139(3), pages 419-439, September.
- A K M Azhar & R J R Elliott, 2003. "On the Measurement of Trade-Induced Adjustment," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0309, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Ferto, Imre & Hubbard, Lionel J., 2001. "Intra-Industry Trade In Agri-Food Products Between Hungary And The Eu," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20450, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jayant Menon & Peter Dixon, 1997. "Intra-industry versus inter-industry trade: Relevance for adjustment costs," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 133(1), pages 164-169, March.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert Elliott, 2002. "Labour-market effects of intra-industry trade: Evidence for the United Kingdom," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 138(2), pages 207-228, June.
- Joaquín Oliveras & Inés Terra, 1997. "Marginal intra-industry trade index: The period and aggregation choice," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 133(1), pages 170-178, March.
- Y. Kandogan, 2003. "Reconsidering the adjustment costs of the Europe agreements," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 63-68. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea06:21037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.