The Cost of Delay in a Mortgage/Credit Loan Portfolio
Using an actuarial model, we examine the cost of delay in mortgage/credit loan payments. It is assumed that the default arrival process follows the Poisson process and the loss sizes are assumed to be independent and an identical truncated exponential. We also assume that the delay between default occurrence and partially (or fully) recovered payment is an independent identical truncated exponential random variable. For the recovery rate random variable, we simply use its expectation. Using the relationship between the shot noise process and accumulated/discounted aggregate losses process and applying the piecewise deterministic Markov processes theory, we obtain the explicit expressions for the expected value of losses and the expected value of part (or whole) of the loan recovered with the delay. Based on these moments, we define and predict the cost of delay in a mortgage/credit loan portfolio and their numerical examples are provided.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 4 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/apjri|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jang, Ji-Wook & Krvavych, Yuriy, 2004. "Arbitrage-free premium calculation for extreme losses using the shot noise process and the Esscher transform," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 97-111, August.
- Ambrose, Brent W & Buttimer, Richard J, Jr & Capone, Charles A, 1997. "Pricing Mortgage Default and Foreclosure Delay," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(3), pages 314-325, August.
- Ji-Wook Jang, 2004. "Martingale Approach for Moments of Discounted Aggregate Claims," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 71(2), pages 201-211.
- Jang, Jiwook, 2007. "Jump diffusion processes and their applications in insurance and finance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 62-70, July.
- Angelos Dassios & Jiwook Jang, 2003. "Pricing of catastrophe reinsurance and derivatives using the Cox process with shot noise intensity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2849, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- James B. Kau & Taewon Kim, 1994. "Waiting to Default: The Value of Delay," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 22(3), pages 539-551.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:apjrin:v:4:y:2009:i:1:n:5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.