"Nachhaltige Entwicklung"- Zur Ökonomik des Bangens und des Hoffens
The paper starts with a critical assessment of attempts to measure sustainability. Moreover, incentives for the present generation to follow a sustainable path are a key issue. Sustainability is threatened by discounting and by the open access structure of the relationship between present and future generations. On the other hand, there are economic causes for optimism. Particularly if the present generation corrects market failures, positive intertemporal externalities are generated. In addition to this „main stream” economic reasoning, the paper investigates whether sustainability is more likely if decision makers are not guided by the rules of homo oeconomicus. Copyright Verein für Socialpolitik und Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2004
Volume (Year): 5 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6493|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1465-6493|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Welsch, Heinz, 2002. "Preferences over Prosperity and Pollution: Environmental Valuation Based on Happiness Surveys," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 473-94.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1974.
"On the Welfare Significance of National Product in Dynamic Economy,"
125, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1976. "On the Welfare Significance of National Product in a Dynamic Economy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(1), pages 156-162.
- Congleton, Roger D, 1992. "Political Institutions and Pollution Control," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 412-21, August.
- Lange, Andreas & Vogt, Carsten, 2001.
"Cooperation in international environmental negotiations due to a preference for equity,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
01-14, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lange, Andreas & Vogt, Carsten, 2003. "Cooperation in international environmental negotiations due to a preference for equity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 2049-2067, September.
- Asheim, Geir B, 1997. " Adjusting Green NNP to Measure Sustainability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(3), pages 355-70, September.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977.
"Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-74, December.
- John Hartwick, 1976. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," Working Papers 220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Bruno S. Frey & Alois Stutzer, 2002.
"What Can Economists Learn from Happiness Research?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 402-435, June.
- Bruno S. Frey & Alois Stutzer, . "What can Economists Learn from Happiness Research?," IEW - Working Papers 080, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Alois Stutzer, 2001. "What Can Economists Learn from Happiness Research?," CESifo Working Paper Series 503, CESifo Group Munich.
- Nyborg, Karine, 2000. "Homo Economicus and Homo Politicus: interpretation and aggregation of environmental values," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 305-322, July.
- Hartwick, John M., 1990.
"Natural resources, national accounting and economic depreciation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 291-304, December.
- John M. Hartwick, 1990. "Natural Resources, National Accounting and Economic Depreciation," Working Papers 771, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gollier, Christian, 2002. "Discounting an uncertain future," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 149-166, August.
- Endres, Alfred, 1997. "Increasing Environmental Awareness to Protect the Global Commons--A Curmudgeon's View," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 3-27.
- Solow, Robert, 1993. "An almost practical step toward sustainability," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 162-172, September.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 2001. "Human Well-Being and the Natural Environment," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199247882.
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:perwir:v:5:y:2004:i:1:p:91-104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.