The NNP and Sustainability in Open Economy: Highlights on Recent World Economy and on Open Economy of Bangladesh
This paper discusses the theory of the net national product and, emphasizes on social welfare and sustainable accounting in open economy. It is observed that the world economy following an egalitarian path, the aggregate capital gains being positive is equivalent to the interest rate tending to decrease. This is important for the concept of net national product in open economies. Martin Weitzman gives a foundation for net national product as the stationary equivalent of a wealth maximizing path when there is a constant interest rate and no exogenous technological progress. The NNP should equal the maximum consumption level that can be sustained. The ordinary Hartwick rule gives a sufficient condition for constant consumption in a closed economy with constant population and stationary technology. An attempt has been taken in this paper to discuss the net national product and sustainability in open economy. The paper also highlights the recent world economy and the open economy of Bangladesh.
Volume (Year): 4 (2011)
Issue (Month): (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://kasbit.edu.pk/marketing-management/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Avinash Dixit & Peter Hammond & Michael Hoel, 1980. "On Hartwick's Rule for Regular Maximin Paths of Capital Accumulation and Resource Depletion," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(3), pages 551-556.
- Dasgupta, P., 1990. "The Environment as Commodity.i," Research Paper 84, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Dedola, Luca & Leduc, Sylvain, 2010.
"Optimal Monetary Policy in Open Economies,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics,in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 16, pages 861-933
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Luca Dedola & Sylvain Leduc, 2010. "Optimal monetary policy in open economies," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/35, European University Institute.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Dedola, Luca & Leduc, Sylvain, 2010. "Optimal monetary policy in open economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 8069, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Luca Dedola & Sylvain Leduc, 2010. "Optimal monetary policy in open economies," Working Paper Series 2010-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1976. "On the Welfare Significance of National Product in a Dynamic Economy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(1), pages 156-162.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1974. "On the Welfare Significance of National Product in Dynamic Economy," Working papers 125, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Geir B. Asheim, 2011. "Comparing the welfare of growing economies," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 121(1), pages 59-72.
- B. Asheim, Geir, 2010. "Comparing the Welfare of Growing Economies," Memorandum 03/2010, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Asheim, Geir B., 1996. "Capital gains and net national product in open economies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 419-434, March.
- Burmeister, Edwin & Hammond, P J, 1977. "Maximin Paths of Heterogeneous Capital Accumulation and the Instability of Paradoxical Steady States," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 853-870, May.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-974, December.
- John Hartwick, 1976. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," Working Papers 220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Geir B. Asheim, 2010. "Global welfare comparisons," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1412-1432, November.
- Geir B. Asheim, 1986. "Hartwick's Rule in Open Economies," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 395-402, August.
- Asheim, Geir B, 1997. " Adjusting Green NNP to Measure Sustainability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(3), pages 355-370, September.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 1990. "The Environment as a Commodity," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 51-67, Spring. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ksb:journl:v:4:y:2011:p:32-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yasir Jaseem)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.