The Real Net National Product in Sustainable Development
This paper is related to social welfare and sustainability. The real NNP represents the maximized value of flow of goods and services that are produced by the productive assets of the society. It is important to investigate whether the concept of NNP can serve as an indicator of sustainability. In this paper an attempt has been taken to clarify this with theoretical calculations. The instantaneous increases in real NNP over time are an accurate indicator of true welfare improvements. The paper shows that welfare is increasing instantaneously over time if and only if real NNP is increasing instantaneously over time. It is also shown the relation between the Divisia index of real consumption prices and dynamic welfare evaluation. The paper emphasizes on optimal growth and growth without optimality, and is examined sustainability in these two cases.
Volume (Year): 4 (2011)
Issue (Month): (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://kasbit.edu.pk/academics/academic-departments/marketing-management/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Hartwick, 1976.
"Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources,"
220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-74, December.
- Asheim, Geir, 2003.
"Green national accounting for welfare and sustainability: A taxonomy of assumptions and results,"
31/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Geir B. Asheim, 2003. "Green national accounting for welfare and sustainability:A Taxonomy Of Assumptions And Results," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(2), pages 113-130, 05.
- Geir B. Asheim, 2002. "Green National Accounting for Welfare and Sustainability: A Taxonomy of Assumptions and Results," CESifo Working Paper Series 827, CESifo Group Munich.
- Geir B. Asheim & Wolfgang Buchholz, 2004.
"A General Approach to Welfare Measurement through National Income Accounting,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 106(2), pages 361-384, 06.
- Asheim, Geir & Buchholz, Wolfgang, 2003. "A General Approach to Welfare Measurement through National Income Accounting," Memorandum 32/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Geir B. Asheim & Wolfgang Buchholz, 2002. "A General Approach to Welfare Measurement through National Income Accounting," CESifo Working Paper Series 831, CESifo Group Munich.
- Geir B. Asheim, 2010. "Global welfare comparisons," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1412-1432, November.
- John C. V. Pezzey, 2002. "One-sided Unsustainability Tests and NNP Measurement with Multiple Consumption Goods," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0208, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Hamilton, Kirk, 1994. "Green adjustments to GDP," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 155-168, September.
- Withagen, Cees & B. Asheim, Geir, 1998. "Characterizing sustainability: The converse of Hartwick's rule," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 159-165, September.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1974.
"On the Welfare Significance of National Product in Dynamic Economy,"
125, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1976. "On the Welfare Significance of National Product in a Dynamic Economy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 156-62, February.
- Dixit, Avinash & Hammond, Peter & Hoel, Michael, 1980. "On Hartwick's Rule for Regular Maximin Paths of Capital Accumulation and Resource Depletion," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 551-56, April.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Guillaume Gaulier, 2009.
"International Comparisons of Living Standards by Equivalent Incomes,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 111(3), pages 597-624, 09.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Guillaume Gaulier, 2007. "International Comparisons of Living Standards by Equivalent Incomes," Working Papers 2007-03, CEPII research center.
- Geir B. Asheim, 2011.
"Comparing the welfare of growing economies,"
Revue d'économie politique,
Dalloz, vol. 121(1), pages 59-72.
- Burmeister, Edwin & Hammond, P J, 1977. "Maximin Paths of Heterogeneous Capital Accumulation and the Instability of Paradoxical Steady States," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 853-70, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ksb:journl:v:4:y:2011:p:89-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yasir Jaseem)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.