Seasoned Equity Offerings: Stock Market Liquidity and the Rights Offer Paradox
This paper examines the impact of market liquidity on seasoned equity offerings (SEO) characteristics in France. We find that, besides blockholders’ takeup, liquidity is an important determinant of SEO flotation method choice. We document higher direct equity offering flotation costs, but also improved stock market liquidity after public offerings and standby rights relative to uninsured rights. After controlling for endogeneity in the choice of SEO flotation method, we find that pure public offerings and standby rights are comparable in terms of direct costs and liquidity improvement. Our results provide new insights as to why firms choose public offerings despite apparently higher costs.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (01)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0306-686X|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chordia, Tarun & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar & Anshuman, V. Ravi, 2001. "Trading activity and expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 3-32, January.
- Eckbo, B. Espen & Masulis, Ronald W., 1992. "Adverse selection and the rights offer paradox," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 293-332, December.
- Acharya, Viral V & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2004.
"Asset Pricing with Liquidity Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4718, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edel Barnes & Martin Walker, 2006. "The Seasoned-Equity Issues of UK Firms: Market Reaction and Issuance Method Choice," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1-2), pages 45-78.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Hansen, Robert S & Pinkerton, John M, 1982. " Direct Equity Financing: A Resolution of a Paradox," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(3), pages 651-65, June.
- Pástor, Luboš & Stambaugh, Robert F., 2002.
"Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luboš Pástor & Robert F. Stambaugh, . "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," CRSP working papers 531, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Lubos Pastor & Robert F. Stambaugh, 2001. "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 8462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Denis, David J & Kadlec, Gregory B, 1994. " Corporate Events, Trading Activity, and the Estimation of Systematic Risk: Evidence from Equity Offerings and Share Repurchases," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1787-1811, December.
- Robert S. Hansen, 1988. "The Demise of the Rights Issue," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(3), pages 289-309.
- Asparouhova, Elena & Bessembinder, Hendrik & Kalcheva, Ivalina, 2010. "Liquidity biases in asset pricing tests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 215-237, May.
- Randall A. Heron & Erik Lie, 2004. "A Comparison of the Motivations for and the Information Content of Different Types of Equity Offerings," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(3), pages 605-632, July.
- Seth Armitage, 2007. "Discounts in Placing Pre-renounced Shares in Rights Issues," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(7-8), pages 1345-1369.
- Constantinides, George M, 1986. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Transaction Costs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 842-62, August.
- Hamon, Jacques & Ginglinger, Edith, 2012.
"Ownership, control and market liquidity,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/9676, Paris Dauphine University.
- Butler, Alexander W. & Grullon, Gustavo & Weston, James P., 2005. "Stock Market Liquidity and the Cost of Issuing Equity," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(02), pages 331-348, June.
- Rubin, Amir, 2007. "Ownership level, ownership concentration and liquidity," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 219-248, August.
- B[oslash]hren, [Oslash]yvind & Eckbo, B. Espen & Michalsen, Dag, 1997. "Why underwrite rights offerings? Some new evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 223-261, November.
- Heflin, Frank & Shaw, Kenneth W., 2000. "Blockholder Ownership and Market Liquidity," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(04), pages 621-633, December.
- Cronqvist, Henrik & Nilsson, Mattias, 2005.
"The choice between rights offerings and private equity placements,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 375-407, November.
- Cronqvist, Henrik & Nilsson, Mattias, 2001. "The choice between rights offerings and private equity placements," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0452, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 21 Jan 2002.
- Edith Ginglinger & Jean-François Gajewski, 2002.
"Seasoned equity issues in a closely held market: evidence from France,"
- Gajewski, Jean-François & Ginglinger, Edith, 2002. "Seasoned Equity Issues in a Closely Held Market: Evidence from France," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1949, Paris Dauphine University.
- Shane A. Corwin, 2003. "The Determinants of Underpricing for Seasoned Equity Offers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2249-2279, October.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Tripathy, Niranjan & Rao, Ramesh P, 1992. "Adverse Selection, Spread Behavior, and Over-the-Counter Seasoned Equity Offerings," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 15(1), pages 39-56, Spring.
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 1996. "Market microstructure and asset pricing: On the compensation for illiquidity in stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 441-464, July.
- Datar, Vinay T. & Y. Naik, Narayan & Radcliffe, Robert, 1998. "Liquidity and stock returns: An alternative test," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 203-219, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jbfnac:v:40:y:2013:i:1-2:p:215-238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.