Dynamic Firm R&D Games: Manufacturing Costs and Reliability Paths
Consider a dynamic intra-industry trade model with two goods, two firms, and two countries in which product ¡°reliability¡± is determined by R&D paths. This paper focuses on how a change in competitive conditions in terms of manufacturing costs affects the firms¡¯ decision about optimal reliability. Briefly, the main result of the paper is that when the manufacturing costs are similar and closely track each other, a lower manufacturing cost prompts both firms to increase their R&D and product reliability. But when the manufacturing costs are not similar, either before or after the change, the results are quite different. A profit maximizing firm will sometimes take advantage of a reduction in its own manufacturing cost by actually doing less R&D¡ªand thus producing a less reliable product.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada|
Web page: http://www.bapress.ca
|Order Information:|| Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:16:y:2010:i:3:p:243-256 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard T. Gretz & Jannett Highfill & Robert C. Scott, 2009. "Strategic Research And Development Policy: Societal Objectives And The Corporate Welfare Argument," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(1), pages 28-45, 01.
- Jannett Highfill & Michael McAsey, 2010. "Firm Metrics with Continuous R&D, Quality Improvement, and Cournot Quantities," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 16(3), pages 243-256, August.
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 2009.
"Dynamic R&D with spillovers: Competition vs cooperation,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 568-582, March.
- R. Cellini & L. Lambertini, 2003. "Dynamic R&D with Spillovers: Competition vs Cooperation," Working Papers 495, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Boris Lokshin & René Belderbos & Martin Carree, 2008. "The Productivity Effects of Internal and External R&D: Evidence from a Dynamic Panel Data Model," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(3), pages 399-413, 06.
- Lokshin, Boris & Belderbos, René & Carree, Martin, 2007. "The Productivity Effects of Internal and External R&D: Evidence From a Dynamic Panel Data Model," MERIT Working Papers 026, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jan Haaland & Hans Jarle Kind, 2006. "Cooperative and Non-Cooperative R&D Policy in an Economic Union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 142(4), pages 720-745, December.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Kind, Hans Jarle, 2004. "Cooperative and Non-Cooperative R&D Policy in an Economic Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 4185, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gregory Tassey, 2010. "Rationales and mechanisms for revitalizing US manufacturing R&D strategies," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 283-333, June.
- Femminis, Gianluca & Martini, Gianmaria, 2011. "Irreversible investment and R&D spillovers in a dynamic duopoly," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1061-1090, July.
- Jannett Highfill & Michael McAsey, 2010. "Dynamic Product Reliability Management for a Firm with a Complacent Competitor vs. a Lockstep Competitor," The Journal of Economics, Missouri Valley Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 29-54.
- Sanna-Randaccio, Francesca, 2002. "The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Home and Host Countries with Endogenous R&D," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 278-298, May.
- Maria Luisa Petit & Francesca Sanna-Randaccio & Roberta Sestini, 2012. "R&D and foreign direct investment with asymmetric spillovers," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 125-150, October.
- Richard Gretz & Jannett Highfill & Robert Scott, 2012. "R&D subsidy games: a cost sharing approach vs. reward for performance," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 385-403, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bap:journl:130101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.