Dynamic Firm R&D Games: Manufacturing Costs and Reliability Paths
Consider a dynamic intra-industry trade model with two goods, two firms, and two countries in which product ¡°reliability¡± is determined by R&D paths. This paper focuses on how a change in competitive conditions in terms of manufacturing costs affects the firms¡¯ decision about optimal reliability. Briefly, the main result of the paper is that when the manufacturing costs are similar and closely track each other, a lower manufacturing cost prompts both firms to increase their R&D and product reliability. But when the manufacturing costs are not similar, either before or after the change, the results are quite different. A profit maximizing firm will sometimes take advantage of a reduction in its own manufacturing cost by actually doing less R&D¡ªand thus producing a less reliable product.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bapress.ca
|Order Information:|| Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jannett Highfill & Michael McAsey, 2010. "Dynamic Product Reliability Management for a Firm with a Complacent Competitor vs. a Lockstep Competitor," The Journal of Economics, Missouri Valley Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 29-54.
- Boris Lokshin & René Belderbos & Martin Carree, 2008.
"The Productivity Effects of Internal and External R&D: Evidence from a Dynamic Panel Data Model,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(3), pages 399-413, 06.
- Lokshin, Boris & Belderbos, René & Carree, Martin, 2007. "The Productivity Effects of Internal and External R&D: Evidence From a Dynamic Panel Data Model," MERIT Working Papers 026, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 2009.
"Dynamic R&D with spillovers: Competition vs cooperation,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 568-582, March.
- R. Cellini & L. Lambertini, 2003. "Dynamic R&D with Spillovers: Competition vs Cooperation," Working Papers 495, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Jannett Highfill & Michael McAsey, 2010. "Firm Metrics with Continuous R&D, Quality Improvement, and Cournot Quantities," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 16(3), pages 243-256, August.
- Jan Haaland & Hans Jarle Kind, 2006.
"Cooperative and Non-Cooperative R&D Policy in an Economic Union,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 142(4), pages 720-745, December.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Kind, Hans Jarle, 2004. "Cooperative and Non-Cooperative R&D Policy in an Economic Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 4185, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Femminis, Gianluca & Martini, Gianmaria, 2011. "Irreversible investment and R&D spillovers in a dynamic duopoly," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1061-1090, July.
- Maria Luisa Petit & Francesca Sanna-Randaccio & Roberta Sestini, 2012. "R&D and foreign direct investment with asymmetric spillovers," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 125-150, October.
- Gregory Tassey, 2010. "Rationales and mechanisms for revitalizing US manufacturing R&D strategies," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 283-333, June.
- Richard Gretz & Jannett Highfill & Robert Scott, 2012. "R&D subsidy games: a cost sharing approach vs. reward for performance," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 385-403, August.
- Sanna-Randaccio, Francesca, 2002. "The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Home and Host Countries with Endogenous R&D," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 278-98, May.
- Richard T. Gretz & Jannett Highfill & Robert C. Scott, 2009. "Strategic Research And Development Policy: Societal Objectives And The Corporate Welfare Argument," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(1), pages 28-45, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bap:journl:130101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bill Yan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.