Weed Management: A Review of Applied Economics Research in Australia
Australian research into the economics of privately and publicly funded weed control is reviewed. Of the published studies that consider farm-level problems, most have been simplistic. Complexities which affect a farmer's optimal control strategies for crop and pasture weeds are outlined. The determination of herbicide rates on an economic basis is proposed as an area for further work. The traditional economic threshold concept is not suitable for this purpose. Studies of the economics of public weed control programs are slightly more common than farm-level studies in the literature, although work on public weed problems has focussed on just a few weed species. Future directions for weed economics research are suggested.
Volume (Year): 56 (1988)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moffitt, L. Joe & Hall, Darwin C. & Osteen, Craig D., 1984. "Economic Thresholds Under Uncertainty With Application To Corn Nematode Management," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Edwards, Geoff W. & Freebairn, John W., 1982. "The Social Benefits from an Increase in Productivity in a Part of an Industry," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(02), August.
- Auld, Bruce A. & Tisdell, Clem A., 1987. "Economic thresholds and response to uncertainty in weed control," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 219-227.
- Catherine R. Greene & Randall A. Kramer & George W. Norton & Edwin G. Rajotte & McPherson Robert M., 1985. "An Economic Analysis of Soybean Integrated Pest Management," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 67(3), pages 567-572.
- Moffitt, L. Joe & Hall, Darwin C. & Osteen, Craig D., 1984. "Economic Thresholds Under Uncertainty with Application to Corn Nematode Management," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 151-158, December.
- Randall, Alan, 1982. "Economic Surplus Concepts and Their Use in Benefit Cost Analysis," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(02), August.
- Menz, K. M. & Coote, B. G. & Auld, B. A., 1980. "Spatial aspects of weed control," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 67-75, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:remaae:12278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.