An Economic Response Model Of Herbicide Application For Weed Control
A biologically realistic model of crop yield response to herbicide application is presented. It includes functions for weed mortality from herbicide application and yield loss due to surviving weeds. The optimal herbicide rate and two types of decision thresholds are derived theoretically and illustrated with empirical examples. Responses of the various decision criteria to changes in parameters are also examined theoretically and empirically. A multidimensional threshold for weeds based on weed density and weed-free yield is presented. The issue of farmers using other than officially recommended herbicide rates is discussed.
Volume (Year): 34 (1990)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abadi Ghadim, Amir K. & Pannell, David J., 1991. "Economic trade-off between pasture production and crop weed control," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 1-15.
- Moffitt, L. Joe & Hall, Darwin C. & Osteen, Craig D., 1984. "Economic Thresholds Under Uncertainty With Application To Corn Nematode Management," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Pannell, David J., 1988. "Weed Management: A Review of Applied Economics Research in Australia," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 56(03), December.
- Pandey, Sushil, 1989. "Economics of Wild Oats Control: An Application of a Stochastic Dynamic Programming Model," Discussion Papers 230955, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Gershon Feder, 1979. "Pesticides, Information, and Pest Management under Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 61(1), pages 97-103.
- Pandey, Sushil, 1989. "Economics of Wild Oats Control: An Application of a Stochastic Dynamic Programming Model," 1989 Conference (33rd), February 7-9, 1989, Christchurch, New Zealand 144816, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- L. Joe Moffitt, 1988. "Incorporating Environmental Considerations in Pest Control Advice for Farmers," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(3), pages 628-634.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ajaeau:22352. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.