Relative Economic Efficiency in the Australian Grazing Industry
The Lau and Yotopoulos restricted profit function methodology for testing for differences in economic efficiency and its components of allocative and technical efficiency is applied to data from grazing properties in the High Rainfall Zone of New South Wales. Tests are made on the basis of property size and operator's age. Larger farms are found to be significantly more economically efficient than smaller farms. The range of data considered in this study is found to exhibit constant returns to scale. Operator's age is found to have no effect on economic, allocative or technical efficiency and both younger and older operators are found to allocate variable inputs optimally. Finally, the usefulness of the methodology for examining issues related to economic efficiency in the Australian agricultural sector is assesed.
Volume (Year): 49 (1981)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trosper, Ronald L, 1978. "American Indian Relative Ranching Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(4), pages 503-16, September.
- Atkinson, Scott E & Halvorsen, Robert, 1980. "A Test of Relative and Absolute Price Efficiency in Regulated Utilities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 81-88, February.
- Lawrence, Denis & McKay, Lloyd, 1980. "Inputs, Outputs And Productivity Change In The Australian Sheep Industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 24(01), April.
- Byron, R P, 1970. "The Restricted Aitken Estimation of Sets of Demand Relations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(6), pages 816-30, November.
- Sidhu, Surjit S, 1974. "Relative Efficiency in Wheat Production in the Indian Punjab," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 742-51, September.
- Lau, Lawrence J & Yotopoulos, Pan A, 1971. "A Test for Relative Efficiency and Application to Indian Agriculture," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 94-109, March.
- Yotopoulos, Pan A & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "A Test for Relative Economic Efficiency: Some Further Results," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(1), pages 214-23, March.
- McKay, Lloyd & Lawrence, Denis & Vlastuin, Chris, 1980. "Input Demand and Substitution in the Australian Sheep Industry," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(02), August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:remaae:12247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.