Board Diligence, Director Busyness and Corporate Governance: An Empirical Analysis for India
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Brickley, James A. & Linck, James S. & Coles, Jeffrey L., 1999. "What happens to CEOs after they retire? New evidence on career concerns, horizon problems, and CEO incentives," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 341-377, June.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Graziano, Clara & Parigi, Bruno, 2001. "Executive compensation and firm performance in Italy," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 133-161, January.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Jeffrey L. Coles & Chun‐Keung Hoi, 2003. "New Evidence on the Market for Directors: Board Membership and Pennsylvania Senate Bill 1310," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(1), pages 197-230, February.
- Anil Shivdasani & David Yermack, 1999. "CEO Involvement in the Selection of New Board Members: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(5), pages 1829-1853, October.
- Stephen P. Ferris & Murali Jagannathan & A. C. Pritchard, 2003. "Too Busy to Mind the Business? Monitoring by Directors with Multiple Board Appointments," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1087-1112, June.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Reishus, David, 1990. "Outside directorships and corporate performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 389-410, October.
- Dahya, Jay & McConnell, John J., 2005. "Outside directors and corporate board decisions," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 37-60, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dele Akinwole, Babatunde & M. Ajide, Folorunsho, 2020. "Board Characteristics and Firm’s Financial Performance in Nigeria," Working Papers 15, Department of Economics, University of Ilorin.
- Nadia Mans-Kemp & Suzette Viviers & Sian Collins, 2018. "Exploring the causes and consequences of director overboardedness in an emerging market," International Journal of Disclosure and Governance, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 15(4), pages 210-220, November.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Aditi Gupta & David Otley & Steven Young, 2008. "Does superior firm performance lead to higher quality outside directorships?," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 21(7), pages 907-932, September.
- Jiraporn, Pornsit & Singh, Manohar & Lee, Chun I., 2009. "Ineffective corporate governance: Director busyness and board committee memberships," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 819-828, May.
- Jiraporn, Pornsit & Kim, Young Sang & Davidson III, Wallace N., 2008. "Multiple directorships and corporate diversification," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 418-435, June.
- Harford, Jarrad & Schonlau, Robert J., 2013. "Does the director labor market offer ex post settling-up for CEOs? The case of acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 18-36.
- Miller, Darius, 2018. "Discussion of “Managing reputation: Evidence from biographies of corporate directors✰," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 470-475.
- Lel, Ugur & Miller, Darius, 2019. "The labor market for directors and externalities in corporate governance: Evidence from the international labor market," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1).
- Bar-Hava, K. & Gu, F. & Lev, B., 2013. "The virtues of fewer directorships," Research Memorandum 037, Maastricht University, Graduate School of Business and Economics (GSBE).
- Ertimur, Yonca & Ferri, Fabrizio & Stubben, Stephen R., 2010. "Board of directors' responsiveness to shareholders: Evidence from shareholder proposals," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 53-72, February.
- Masulis, Ronald W. & Mobbs, Shawn, 2014. "Independent director incentives: Where do talented directors spend their limited time and energy?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 406-429.
- Lisa Fairchild & Joanne Li, 2005. "Director Quality and Firm Performance," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 257-279, May.
- Renee B. Adams & Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2010.
"The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 48(1), pages 58-107, March.
- Renée Adams & Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2008. "The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey," NBER Working Papers 14486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adams, Renee & Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2009. "The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey," Working Paper Series 2008-21, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Del Guercio, Diane & Seery, Laura & Woidtke, Tracie, 2008. "Do boards pay attention when institutional investor activists "just vote no"?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 84-103, October.
- McKnight, Phillip J. & Weir, Charlie, 2009. "Agency costs, corporate governance mechanisms and ownership structure in large UK publicly quoted companies: A panel data analysis," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 139-158, May.
- Ferris, Stephen P. & Jayaraman, Narayanan & Liao, Min-Yu (Stella), 2020. "Better directors or distracted directors? An international analysis of busy boards," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 44(C).
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wu, Qiang, 2012.
"Do corporate boards matter during the current financial crisis?,"
Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 39-52.
- Bill B. Francis & Iftekhar Hasan & Qiang Wu, 2012. "Do corporate boards matter during the current financial crisis?," Review of Financial Economics, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 21(2), pages 39-52, April.
- Lee, Yung-Chuan & Wang, Ming-Chang, 2017. "How does corporate control affect the appointment, auditing expertise and reputation of independent directors? Evidence from Taiwan," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 130-140.
- Kirchmaier, Thomas & Kollo, Michael G., 2006. "The role of prestige and networks in outside director appointment," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24635, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lucrezia Fattobene & Marco Caiffa, 2016. "Sitting on the Board or Sitting on the Throne? Evidence of Boards' Overconfidence from the Italian Market," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 45(2), pages 235-269, July.
- Jingoo Kang, 2016. "Labor market evaluation versus legacy conservation: What factors determine retiring CEOs' decisions about long-term investment?," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(2), pages 389-405, February.
- Ertimur, Yonca & Ferri, Fabrizio & Maber, David A., 2012. "Reputation penalties for poor monitoring of executive pay: Evidence from option backdating," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 118-144.
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:reapec:50159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/aelinnz.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: AgEcon Search (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/aelinnz.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.